low fuel level warning

W444AJD

Stupid question time! I have never seen a low fuel warning light in my Impreza - you can see from the photo that the gauge was pretty low...but still no light.  Should it have come on by then?

I am also not sure how big the fuel tank is - according to Parkers website it's 60L, but I filled up to click just after taking that photo and it only took 46 litres, which makes me think its a 50L tank.  You can see in the other photo that when it's filled the gauge is above the F mark, so maybe the empty E mark is the same, and I am just not being brave enough?! Maybe I still had 14 litres in the tank...

Anyone else with a hawkeye wagon got any thoughts? I think the blobeyes had 50L tanks? Mine is a 55 plate so an early hawkeye and maybe not with the 60L tank...

IMG_7924.JPG

IMG_7927.JPG

i drove to work and back when light came on in my blobeye thats about 14 mile in total and it was still going,but you souldnt really let it get that low incase it picks up all crap in bottom tank,so my hatch never gets that low.

2 hours ago, aucky said:

i drove to work and back when light came on in my blobeye thats about 14 mile in total and it was still going,but you souldnt really let it get that low incase it picks up all crap in bottom tank,so my hatch never gets that low.

Even tho the fuel pick up is right at the bottom of the tank? Kind of the reason cars have fuel filters... :cheers:

38 minutes ago, Sandals said:

Even tho the fuel pick up is right at the bottom of the tank? Kind of the reason cars have fuel filters... :cheers:

yes but if you have say 2 gallon fuel then its something like 99% liquid 1% crap floating about,may get odd bit crap suck up to fuel filter,but when fuel gets low at some point the crap over takes the liquid and it ends up 99% crap 1% liquid so get a suck off soggy crap to the fuel filter,and if your running your car down to dry all the time at some point your cars going to stop running right becouse your fuel filter is gradually filling with crap :tongue: :cheers:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aucky said:

yes but if you have say 2 gallon fuel then its something like 99% liquid 1% crap floating about,may get odd bit crap suck up to fuel filter,but when fuel gets low at some point the crap over takes the liquid and it ends up 99% crap 1% liquid so get a suck off soggy crap to the fuel filter,and if your running your car down to dry all the time at some point your cars going to stop running right becouse your fuel filter is gradually filling with crap :tongue: :cheers:

True I suppose, fuel filters aren't expensive and are easy to change! When I changed my pump I shone my torch into the tank to take a look, looked brand new! So I have no concern with crap in the tank

3 minutes ago, Sandals said:

True I suppose, fuel filters aren't expensive and are easy to change! When I changed my pump I shone my torch into the tank to take a look, looked brand new! So I have no concern with crap in the tank

guess older the car it will be worse,took tank off my 30year old capri and it had a fair bit in it,but old fords are held together with rusty crap :laugh:

8 minutes ago, aucky said:

guess older the car it will be worse,took tank off my 30year old capri and it had a fair bit in it,but old fords are held together with rusty crap :laugh:

Haha exactly! My Scoob is a 2004 so not exactly a young car

• Like 1

17 hours ago, aucky said:

Absolutely spot on.:thumbsup: I was discussing this recently in a thread on another forum when there was confusion that the pick is at the bottom, therefore, always picking up loads of debris if it was floating around. As you say, it's the concentration level not where the pick up is

17 hours ago, aucky said:

Don't remind me! I have one of those and daren't look in the tank. I'll do so when it stops running, I think. A mate of mine has a 30k mile version. So seen nothing in its use in 30 years. But that is a problem in itself. Plenty of condensation above the fuel line rotted his tank like nobody's business.

And that last statement says it all. My time spent in the army (REME) all the vehicles were refuelled to fill the tanks to stop said condensation and thus rusting the inside of the fuel tank. A lot of sites / plant hire firms say their plant must be refuelled at the end of the shift for the same reason. Sadly no everyone can afford to keep their car fully tanked up and also if it is stolen the thieving gits have lots of fuel to abuse your pride and joy with. If that ever happens to mine I pray they wrap it round a tree and it bursts into flames with them still in it.