Steering Wobble

DDoc

Looking for a bit of advise. Got a wobble in the steering wheel between 70-85mph. Recently put new ARB's and endlinks on front and rear, Brembos on the front with new discs, wider alloys and new tyres. Had all the alignment done and wheels balanced. Any suggestions?? 

10 minutes ago, Phillip1993 said:

Do 90 lol haha. I no its hard to tell but did thay balance them properly iv had to have them redone before because they not done them properly

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Haha indeed that is the current solution 😂. Guess the only way I would know is if I took them back yeah? 

Point to add. I had no wobble previously. Then I was running my old alloys with spacers for a week and that's when the wobble appeared. I thought it was the spacers as they were not hubcentric. Wobble is better now they are off the car but still there between those speeds. 

If, after a wheel change the wobble is still there I'd say you can remove them from the equation, I'd start looking at things you have changed since it started that can make a difference, arbs and links ends should'nt effect it, which leaves discs, possibly warped?! Was it there before your alignment? Check how the weights have been fitted, for alloys they should be stick on ones, not ones that 'clip' on the rim

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

To be clearer...

1. Had no wobble

2. Fitted new brakes etc. Ran old alloys with **** spacers. Had bad wobble.

3. Took old alloys and spacers off. New alloys on, no spacers. Wheels balanced and aligned. Still have wobble though doesn't seem as bad but that could be in my head 🙃

28 minutes ago, Phillip1993 said:

You can try that if you had a wobble before maybe check the wheel bearings and you got it on a stand or jack you can check so other parts by seeing if you can wobble anything

So jack the car up and make sure wheel isn't wobbling to check wheel bearings

19 minutes ago, mattiekane said:

If, after a wheel change the wobble is still there I'd say you can remove them from the equation, I'd start looking at things you have changed since it started that can make a difference, arbs and links ends should'nt effect it, which leaves discs, possibly warped?! Was it there before your alignment? Check how the weights have been fitted, for alloys they should be stick on ones, not ones that 'clip' on the rim

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Agree with you that the ARB's and Endlinks are unlikely to cause this. Discs came from Godspeed which have excellent reputation. Is there a way of checking for warped discs? 

Jack it up tern the wheel if it grips or sticks it may be the discs

And yes jack it up and have a poke around see if the wheel wobbles without the hub if not look further in Eg any rubber joints and bushes

Hi DDoc. Have you looked at my Wheel Wobble thread? I have the same symptoms still there. I'm trying to ignore it at the moment. I definitely had a warped disc caused by a stocking calliper piston but even with new discs, I can still feel it at those speeds.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Check that the alloys aren't damaged. Had a similar issue on my old Legacy. Wheels all balanced but wobble at higher speeds. Upon closer inspection one rim was slightly buckled after hitting a pot hole.

On 31/12/2016 at 8:52 AM, Linx said:

Hi DDoc. Have you looked at my Wheel Wobble thread? I have the same symptoms still there. I'm trying to ignore it at the moment. I definitely had a warped disc caused by a stocking calliper piston but even with new discs, I can still feel it at those speeds.

Spoke to Ian at Godspeed (who sold me the discs) He is confident that if it was a warped disc i would feel a wobble at all speeds, not just high up. I have no reason to doubt him. My understanding is that he is the man that knows about breaks.

On 31/12/2016 at 11:25 AM, Scooby1972 said:

Have the wheels balanced again and explain the problem to many times i,ve had to have mine redone,try and go to somewhere that knows there stuff and not local kwik fit😎

Had the alignment and balancing done at a repuatable garage that use all singing all dancing hunter equipment. Have phoned them and they are happy to recheck them for me. 

19 hours ago, NGBZ said:

Check that the alloys aren't damaged. Had a similar issue on my old Legacy. Wheels all balanced but wobble at higher speeds. Upon closer inspection one rim was slightly buckled after hitting a pot hole.

Is the balancing equipment not able to identify a slight buckle?

1 hour ago, DDoc said:

Spoke to Ian at Godspeed (who sold me the discs) He is confident that if it was a warped disc i would feel a wobble at all speeds, not just high up. I have no reason to doubt him. My understanding is that he is the man that knows about breaks.

Had the alignment and balancing done at a repuatable garage that use all singing all dancing hunter equipment. Have phoned them and they are happy to recheck them for me. 

Is the balancing equipment not able to identify a slight buckle?

I have had warped disk before and it did not make it wobble, you would feel warped disk when you brake in pedal movement up and down, i would say the wheels you have bought may have a bad wheel among them, try changing the front wheel with the back pair and see if it changes, if so then have them check some were that checks them for being straight.

As per aucky's post - do you feel any judder through the pedal when braking? If a disc is warped, the offset disc will push back on the pads and transmit a 'pulse' through the fluid back to the pedal. If you don't get any pulsing, then un likely to be a warped disc.

Of course, there is also a possibility that a balance weight has come off.

Try rotating the wheels (front to rear) to see oif that eliminates the issue. If it does, then probably an imbalanced wheel. If the problem remains, then a hub issue is more likely.

You could check to ensure that the hub face is clean. Any corrosion etc on the face 'could' mean that the disc and wheel do not fit properly which would put them out of alignment. Take off the wheels and discs and give the hub face a good scrub with a wire brush. Ensure the mating surfaces on the discs and wheels are also clean.

You don't always get a vibration through the brake pedal. When I had a warped disc, the steering wheel did shake quite violently when braking from speed but pedal was fine.

No been offshore since 28th. Should be back mid Jan. Got a few things to try as suggested on here and I contacted the garage I used to balance so they said they would look at them and the alignment again when I'm back. Hopefully it's a quick, easy and inexpensive fix. January is always a tight month and got snowboarding to be doing at this time of year. 

• Like 1