New XV

robin61

I Hope we get a hybrid in the UK soon, If its as nippy as the Diesel and gets better MPG i'll buy one as soon as I can afford it.
Hopefully they make it a plug in Hybrid like the Misubishi Outlander.

1 hour ago, Swayze88 said:

I Hope we get a hybrid in the UK soon, If its as nippy as the Diesel and gets better MPG i'll buy one as soon as I can afford it.
Hopefully they make it a plug in Hybrid like the Misubishi Outlander.

Well the article seems to be fairly confident that they have been developing a hybrid. I'd consider one.

• 1 month later...

Now I've driven several hybrid cars as variants of cars I had usually as courtesy cars. I've always had 2.0 or 2.2l diesels. In every case to date the hybrid has had very lacklustre performance and returned less mpg than the diesel.

the only thing that is worth considering is the fact that the government, after spending 20 yrs telling people to buy diesels are now saying diesels are bad and we should buy petrols or hybrids so expect road and fuel tax to rise for diesel 

10 hours ago, Dogconker said:

Now I've driven several hybrid cars as variants of cars I had usually as courtesy cars. I've always had 2.0 or 2.2l diesels. In every case to date the hybrid has had very lacklustre performance and returned less mpg than the diesel.

the only thing that is worth considering is the fact that the government, after spending 20 yrs telling people to buy diesels are now saying diesels are bad and we should buy petrols or hybrids so expect road and fuel tax to rise for diesel 

We do too much around town stop / start driving so diesel isn't really an option for us. MPG isn't a huge issue because we're not covering a lot of miles. It'll be petrol or hybrid for me next time I change the car.

I think maybe diesel has reached its peak and we will gradually see petrol turbo and hybrid cars becoming more popular. Think you are right about tax on diesel.

Yes if you're low mileage then the cheaper cost of the petrol over the diesel outweighs the fuel efficiency of the diesel. I think you have to do around 18k a year to offset the extra cost of buying a diesel over a petrol. I do about 20k so it's just about worth it, plus the diesel pulls like a train. 9 seconds to 60mph isn't bad for a big, heavy lump like the XV especially with only a 2.0l engine.

8 hours ago, Dogconker said:

Yes if you're low mileage then the cheaper cost of the petrol over the diesel outweighs the fuel efficiency of the diesel. I think you have to do around 18k a year to offset the extra cost of buying a diesel over a petrol. I do about 20k so it's just about worth it, plus the diesel pulls like a train. 9 seconds to 60mph isn't bad for a big, heavy lump like the XV especially with only a 2.0l engine.

Yes that is very good.