SUBARU SAMBAR VANS

they do sell them in the UK  But only as "IMPORTS"   I found a company that sells them ,  My mrs is looking for a car and I think as our second car to get one of these , As I have always had a little fancy fro the VW campers the early models & I am a SCOOBY fan so one of these would be ideal for us combing 2 of my likes into something practical , 

Can I post the link to the page of the company that sells these ??   They also do a lot of " normal" subaru mods  etc 

• Like 1

Yes the subaru badged ones do like nice like the grey one in the pics . I will call the dealers for the next time I going to england and arrange a test drive . I have did a bit more digging about and found out they share the same chassis and have a few more aspects in common with the SUZUKI CARRY mini vans

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I worked on a Subaru Domingo van once... Very similar but fitted with 1,189cc 3-cylinder engine from the Justy. It was a great little van and I was really impressed with the way it was built... The layout was basically the same as an Impreza AWD but turned around 180 degrees, with the engine in the back.

Wasn't too difficult for access as you can also remove the rear wheels to get in from the sides.

The example I worked on also had a fake VW camper front fitted and this obstructed the cooling vents giving the rear engine some overheating issues.

• 1 year later...

this thread is a couple of years old now,. but if anyone is interested in the subaru vans, i have owned a few..

The subaru sumo (libero in europe, columbuss in sweden and domingo in japan) was available from 1983-1993. it was available in 1.0 (990cc)  or  1.2 (1189cc) 3 cylinder EF engines based on those used in the Subaru Justy. The E10 and E12 engines put out a massive :-) 37kw /50bhp or 38kw/52bhp respectively. The E12 was available with a selectable 4WD, operated via a button on the gearstick. they were available as panel vans or mini vans (various winodow / sunroof options and rear seating). Here is a pic of my panel van:

sumo%2B04%2Bfront%2Bside.jpg

and the mini van version

subaru__libero_4wd_1992_1_lgw.jpg

they are very simular to the bedford rascal, Dihatsu Hijet or suzuki carry, but with a rear mounted engine (which made it more balanced, but preventing it from performing endo's like the hijets :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CnkEhEE7Q

In the 90’s Subaru released the Subaru Sambar in japan, a 660cc, 5 seat van with an optional supercharger and intercooler package, coupled with fuel injection. An automatic transmission (ECVT system) was offered along with full-time 4WD system. The Subaru Sambar is classed as a Kei car - a Japanese category of small vehicle, designed to comply with Japanese government tax and insurance regulations. The regulations restrict physical size and engine displacement. These standards originated in the times following the end of the Second World War, when most Japanese could not afford a full-sized car, yet had enough to buy a motorcycle. To promote the growth of the car industry, as well as to offer an alternative delivery method to small business and shop owners, kei car standards were created.

Subaru_Sambar.jpgMHV_Subaru_Sambar_1st_Gen_01.jpg

In 1993 subaru stopped selling the subaru sumo in the uk. A new shaped subaru libero (europe) or Domingo (japan) was released.

Subaru%2BDomingo.jpg

The domingo shared many characteristics with the Subaru Sambar, except it had extended front and rear bumpers and was powered by the 1.0 or 1.2 3-cylinder EF engines (taking it out of the kei car range). The increased power meant a maximum seating capacity of 7 was possible. A Full Time 4WD was added to the options list along with the ECVT automatic transmission. in Japan many of the Sambar's / Domingo’s have been fitted with a bodykit to replicate the VW campervan (but smaller :-) ). more and more of these conversions are being imported into the uk from japan (prefered over the european libero as they are right hand drive). here are some pics of my Domingo (1.2 ECVT )

07%2Bsubaru%2Bdomingo%2Bvw%2Bad.jpga546572d2a7fc282447f427455fd74a8.jpg06%2Bsubaru%2Bdomingo%2Bvw%2Bad.jpg4a5260de51ac87ffd4860b71133766f9.jpg

8de65f519fc062ed57f89a3d3f1fd563.jpg

• Like 1