Gearbox Repair needed Herts/N London

I've just bought my first Subaru- an SVX- and the gearbox has gone wrong already (within 100 miles of me driving it away!). Slight "cough" on the motorway that feels like a misfire but is in fact the gearbox self-destructing. It now only has 2nd and 3rd; no 1st, 4th or reverse. Actually it's still pretty awesome even with two gears. Anyway I need to find someone who knows what to do about it, and I'm in Barnet. I was hoping to ease myself into this kind of thing but it looks like I'm jumping in with both feet!

Any advice most gratefully received.

svx.jpeg

They are definitely thought of in a bracket with the 3000GT and the 300ZX, but in my opinion that was never the real intention- the SVX is more of a Jaguar XJS competitor (Autocar thought so at the time) and the Nissan and Mistsubishi are much more hairy-chested. The engine is the flat 6 that ended up in the Legacy. I hope I don't have to put a manual in it- it's not that kind of car. Actually it did 80 in third gear all the way home from Devon yesterday as if it was born to it- the engine's so smooth. Love it to bits.

Ah the H6 lump... yeh heard it's a really good engine. Was it a private sale? If it wasn't, I would be speaking to whoever sold you it...

Since it's not a unique engine, it could be possible that gearboxes from other models would be a straight swap

It was a private sale, and I don't to be honest think either the guy who sold it to me or the gearbox shop who fitted the oil cooler are at fault. I suspect it's the transfer box or diff locking up and buggering the box at speed. Very odd. But the engine is fab :-)

First of all, auto box - check transmission fluid. Level and colour/smell. I'm assuming it's auto. Check with engine running in park. If fluid is too high or too low, sort it first. Check colour - should be pink. If not, change it, few drain and fills may help. 4 speed or 5 speed?