Subaru Forester 2.5 XT - specs?

martin1981

Haha  B) it's ok I have my glasses on now ;) 

And glad to hear you like the forum :D I agree it has some fantastic members and makes me proud to be apart of it ;) And I agree if you stay out of the turbo even with the Impreza it doesn't need to drink the fuel it's just hard not to :D 

I agree with the breaks that you said they are not great if anything something that all subarus should have changed by the look's of it :D 

I'd look at the wind deflectors for around the windows then I would say it's just how they are made I don't notice it now :D  

i'm not a massive fan of these new wind deflectors as they seems to be more for looks than function, but then that's with the windows open i suppose for what you want them for they would probably work, as for brakes, i think you'll find any of the EBC range of pads will make a huge difference, unless your doing a lot of hard driving on and off the brakes then i would stay away from the added cost of dics, if you do suffer from brake fade then obviosly some drilled and or grooved discs would fix that

EBC link

• Like 1

Hi guys thanks again. I think I'm definitely going to try the flex stoppers and/or EBC brake pads. Will post back here to let you know how it goes.

Can't really be bothered with the wind stoppers because it's not letting water in and it's only at motorway speeds that the wind sound is even noticeable, and even then it's not to the point of being annoying (originally I was concerned it was a problem with the seals but no water is getting in so it should be fine).

I do think I will be keeping this car for a couple of years now, so was thinking about the gearbox kits. Had a little look on eBay but they seem to be well over 1k (usualy 2k or more actually) so don't think it'll be worth it really. The current gearbox seems a little clunky but it's fine and does the job so I'm not gonna worry about it. The only reason I was thinking about it was because I spoke to the owner of one of the Forester XTs that I was going to view (but was too slow and somebody else bought it). He said he'd upgraded the gearbox on his and it was a very successful upgrade. I think I'm basically happy with what it has for the time being so will live with it for a while and see how it goes.

Only other thing I was going to ask was recommendations on tyres... The ones that are currently on there are quite cheap ones and don't seem very grippy (they are definitely legal but don't have loads of tread left on them either). I don't really want to have separate winter tyres and normal tyres if I can avoid it, as don't really want to faff about changing wheels/tyres. But does anybody have any tips on decent all-purpose tyres that would be ok for normal driving but a bit more grippy perhaps so would work in the snow as well? (if this snow does turn up!). I seem to remember reading in a review of these cars somewhere that they were good on snow/ice even without the winter tyres, or is that misguided to assume that? (possibly thinking of a trip to Europe as well so may be an issue even if it doesn't snow here! ;) )

• Like 1

Sorry we did use your thread to go off topic a bit good job the Staff here are easy going :D ..... Oh that's me ;) 

Be great if you let us know if the result's are any good and just come on and join in even if you are bored there is always something going on here :D 

I bought some audi wheels once that had Goodyear vector 4 seasons on, they were cracking tyres in all weather's, it was on a 4 wheel drive golf and I couldn't fault them, I had lamborghini wheels on the same car before the audi wheels and it was quite easy to get the car sideways at 50 in the dry with some nankang tyres on (ditch finders) when I took the same bend on the Goodyear tyres I got to 85 before I felt it going and even then it was struggling to slip, I also live on quite a steep hill and the nankangs would take a while to get me up there in bad weather, the good years made snow driving like rain driving, very impressed with them and if I get a set of winter wheels for the scoob I will most likely invest in some, the limited sizes means I can't fit them to my current wheels, be aware though they aren't the cheapest tyres but are worth it for an all rounder

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, well I'm going to post elsewhere on the forum about other issues, because I am looking to do some mods now (despite what I said before!), and it's a bit muddled to talk about lots of different issues on one thread.

I've decided to fit a 6 speed gearbox(!). I saw a good deal on one, and since I was planning to replace the clutch anyway I've decided to purchase this and have it fitted, which is being done as we speak (I also wanted to strengthen up the car a bit as planning some long journeys). I'm a bit nervous actually but will see how it goes... There's a lot of parts coming off the car (including obviously the original 5-speed gearbox!), so I'm actually going over to the Subaru parts section now to post about that. It's a bit of an issue for me as I don't have any storage space to keep the parts (thought I could borrow some garage space but I can't any more), so I'd have to sell them pretty quick if anybody wants them.

• Like 1

Subaru parts section seems to be empty... So not sure about posting there? So... Does anybody need and want to put an offer in for a Subaru XT 5 speed manual gearbox, plus there will be various other bits e.g. shafts, diff etc? Have to let me know by the end of the day today though, or first thing tomorrow morning because I don't have storage space for the parts that are coming off any may have to scrap them otherwise....

• Like 1

Hi Martin we have been having some challenges with the parts section unfortunately so including details in this thread or creating an indivdual thread in the subaru cars for sale is fine - I hope someone can the spares off your hands

• Like 1