Subaru Forester 2.5 XT - specs?

martin1981

My first post here, as I'm currently looking to purchase a Subaru Forester XT. I'm looking at the 2005, 2.5L versions (not 2006 because I read they added a secondary air injector that year which can go wrong and is an expensive fix). Just a bit confused about the quoted specs...

I understand there are 2.0 versions and the non-turbo versions, however I'm only looking at the 2.5XT. But even then I've seen the power quoted as 227 or 211bhp (however both ads seemed to quote the same 0-60 time: 6.3 seconds). Is this just a mistake in the write-up, or are there different versions of the 2.5XT that I don't know about? (as far as I can tell it's meant to be 227bhp?). Also I've seen in several places/reviews the 0-60 time as 5.3 seconds, not 6.3? (for 2004/2005 models). These are US reviews though so is this just a different version of the XT that wasn't available in the UK? Cheers!

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C  

BHP is 227 more if it's had some mods added.

0.60mph will depend on manual or auto I guess I would say the 5.3 seconds being manual and a second slower for the auto. 

The secondary air injector does seem to be a problem with some of the car's when the error code flashes up on the 2006 yet 2007 seem to run fine so you might be right with the choice from what I can find. Not sure why that is and look's like Subaru knew about the fault but was not willing to hold there hand's up. :( hope it helped a little bit  ;)

And hopefully one of the other Fozzer owners might be able to help more then I can with the injector issue :) 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply, that's very useful info! I've actually only been looking at the manual versions, because I don't want an automatic (my current car is a Skoda Octavia VRS which is manual but my last three cars were auto and I strongly prefer manual). I'm not totally convinced that's right about the manual version being 0-60 in 5.3seconds. Because all the manual versions I've seen are quoting the 6.3seconds. You might be right though I'm really not sure! Anyway the car ticks all the boxes for me so it's not a big deal either way, I just wanted to learn more really.

I'm going to view a nice example today with a very good service history so will see how it goes. ;) It's a totally standard car that hasn't been fiddled with at all, but if I do go for it I'll probably be posting here regarding mods as that's definitely something I'm interested in. As far as you know is the 227bhp figure just remapping? (rather than hardware mods). If I've got that kind of question is it better to post in the Forester specific bit of the forum? Cheers.

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C  

BHP is 227 more if it's had some mods added.

0.60mph will depend on manual or auto I guess I would say the 5.3 seconds being manual and a second slower for the auto. 

The secondary air injector does seem to be a problem with some of the car's when the error code flashes up on the 2006 yet 2007 seem to run fine so you might be right with the choice from what I can find. Not sure why that is and look's like Subaru knew about the fault but was not willing to hold there hand's up. :( hope it helped a little bit   ;)

And hopefully one of the other Fozzer owners might be able to help more then I can with the injector issue :)

I think Tlag or MD Performance might be able to answer it better, but I think you can just remap the fozzers 227BHP to 270 without having to make any changes and to keep it safe. But a remapper should be able to tell you what is safe with or without the mods :) I must admit 5.3 for the size does seem to be quick but I can believe it. :D And I think you will notice the smile will be bigger on your face after the Skoda ;) 

Fully agree about the manual gears. I've only ever driven one auto gear box car didn't like it myself.

With Mods can post here or in the Forester section or bit further down if you want to be more pacific there is engine and exhaust room's :D 

Have to let us know how you get on with the test drive I think you will walk away wanting more myself so you have been warned. Once you have driven it it's hard to drive anything else :) 

Hi guys thanks for all the info, great responses sorry for late reply, I was fixing/upgrading my laptop and couldn't manage to log in to this forum from my phone to reply for some reason! That's a great example, lots of ideas there which will really help me. I'd be looking to do some of the upgrades but a lot more modest (maybe I'm getting old but prefer a car that looks boring but goes fast!). I'm looking for exactly the same thing, a standard car that's been well-kept, and doing upgardes myself.

The viewing went really badly. It was on a farm and the car had obviously been sitting there for ages. They hardly knew anything about the car at all, and didn't even seem bothered if they sold it or not (and didn't seem to appreciate that I'd come a very long way to view the car with the intention of putting a deposit down, seemed like they were hoping to sell to somebody who knew nothing about cars).

[P.s. was trying to attach pics of the rusty exhaust but not quite sure how to do it on here...]

The condition was nothing like what was described to me on the phone. So I didn't put a deposit down. Did a test drive and the clutch/gearbox felt extremely stiff, also the brake pedal felt loose and the brakes seemed not very effective at all. Other than that it did seem to drive quite smoothly, so it gave me a rough idea of what these cars are like. Looking on the bright side it made me realise I definitely do want one of these cars, it just ticks all the boxes for me! But getting back in the Skoda made me also realise I currently have a nice car in very good condition, so need to look very carefully before finding a replacement.

I had a quick look under the car, and took some photos. I understand that exhaust rust is a problem on Foresters, however it looked really quite bad to me. The photos are not very good but I've posted a couple here. I find it difficult to believe that this is a normal/acceptable amount of rust?? Annoyingly I saw another example which was probably much better but has now sold before I got the chance to test drive it. But I also saw a 2004 model come up this week which looks very good, so I'm going to make enquiries there. Anyway I'm not really in a rush, as I have a decent car, so there's no pressing need to swap immediately, and my Skoda is having it's service on Thursday anyway. So I will just wait around and see if I can find a perfect example (also possibly looking at Volvo S60R, but prefer the Subaru because of the bigger space and more off-road potential).

Going back to the technical details, regarding the secondary air injector, for some reason I can't find the thread which mentions this problem (I was going to post the link). My understanding was that it wasn't just the error message popping up, but if there is actually a problem with the injector then it can be really expensive to fix. I may be wrong though. Also does anybody know if this is definitely only a problem with the 2006 models and went away with the 2007? To be honest I don't really see a problem with going for an older model (2004/5), if it's been well serviced. Actually I think I prefer the older body style (a bit more square) to the facelift which I think was in 2006(?). Also I've read somewhere that the tax band after 2005 goes up to over £400/year rather than £275 or something like that, so that's something to consider (can't remember the exact figures). So it seems to make sense to go for a slightly older one in a lot of ways, then more cash left over for mods too.  ;) 

Hi mate 

Sorry to hear the viewing was that bad, does sound like a rotter just from how you have talked about it :( And I think if they know nothing about the car best to stay away as I would say it was never really looked after with oil changes and so on :(

As for uploading pictures you use photobucket or imgshack or anyother picture hosting site upload it there and above your reply to this topic you will have a a line of the smile face mymedia and so on below that there is a tree looking thing when you put the mouse over it should say image click that a little window should pop up go back to where you had hosted the picture and use the direct link and copy paste it into the little pop up window here and that's it :)

like this 

sqpx.jpg

And from what I can find it was just the 2006 that suffered the most with it but that's not to say others don't but does seem to be a lot less if at all. But hopefully someone else might be able to confirm that better then me :) And you are right not a cheap fix and the tax does go up as they changed the engine. I believe it's the same with the hawkeye impreza I know a few people that sold their Hawkeye's for that reason and went for blobeye's :(

And I like the money saving idea ;)

Hi thanks for the extra info. To be honest there's still a lot of grey areas for me, getting my head around the differences between different years/models. For example I was looking at a website today with different options for clutch upgrades for the forester XT, which listed completely different options for the 2004/2005 versions. I thought they were exactly the same but that would seem to suggest not. Also you've mentioned the engine was changed in the 2006 version. Any idea exactly what the changes were? I'm aware of the secondary air injection system mentioned above (added in 2006) but have no idea about any other differences. Also I don't have a clue what the differences are between the 2004/5 versions. Seeing as its usually quite a long way to go to view decent examples of these cars (and I've already had one bad experience!) this lack of knowledge makes me a little wary to say the least!

from what I can find 

In 2006, the turbocharged engine (powering the Forester XT) was awarded International Engine of the Year. This engine is also used in the Subaru Impreza WRX, as well as the re-badged Saab 9-2XAero

So the new parts are. Variable valve-lift system that bumps horsepower from last year's 165 to 173, while turbo Foresters have a higher compression ratio and redesigned intake and exhaust components for a 20-hp boost to 230 and cleaner tailpipe emissions. The manual and automatic transmissions have also been updated for better performance, as has the suspension. Interested shoppers should also note that Subaru has simplified the Forester's trim levels for the 2006 model, Subaru gave the SG a facelift, using redesigned headlights, tail-lights, bonnet, grille, front bumper and side-moldings. I have to admit that sound's great So not sure why it seems to have the fault. Sorry I couldn't narrow anything more down. And it's the same with the Imp's all my Impreza's I've had to travel for them. So you're not on your own with that part of buying one ;)

Hi thanks again for all the info! I've actually found two new websites today which I hadnt seen before and go into a bit more detail on the spec changes year by year, and some suggested mods (though the link to your mates one was a bit more involved in terms of the mods):

http://www.cars101.com/forester.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2006-subaru-forester-news

So, my conclusions so far... I understand that the 2006 engine onwards is improved, though the higher tax band is an issue. Also if I was gonna go for that engine it makes more sense to go for the 2007 version, to (hopefully!) avoid the secondary air injector issue... However to get a decent, well kept 2007 example would cost a few £1000's more than 2004/5 in similar condition. And obviously from the modded example you posted above the 2004 versions can be modded very successfully, so to me that kind of cancels out the base engine of the 2004/5 not being quite as good. So if I go for one of these that's prob what I'll do. If I wasn't planning to mod at all then I'd prob go for 2007. Anyway at least I think I've got my head around all the different versions/specs now... I'm not in a rush really (Skoda just passed major service with flying colours!) but should have some time next week to view some more Subaru's hopefully. Will post back here if I end up going for one, great forum cheers! :)

Sounds like you are in a good position to find the right car for you - as Gambit said I also had to travel to get the right model for me

• Like 1

I agree with you, get an older well looked after and save money on tax also leave cash over for you to mod it or even maybe get one that's modded and been looked after we did have one in the Subaru's For Sale but think that might have sold now I'm not sure. But I do like the sound of what the 2006 and 2007 have from what I found by looking them up. Like I said I have Imps so not 100% with the Forester or other Subaru's :) 

And thank you we try our best ;) and please keep us updated with that you do. And I promise if you find one you will be begging for snow and an open car park :D 

Hi sorry for slow reply yeah I'm definitely going to check the for sale bit regularly from now on... Haven't really had a chance to look for any cars this week but going to start keeping an eye out from now on! Will let you know if I end up getting one, cheers!

Hey yeah I'm looking out for them now... I just saw another decent example today and made and enquiriy but it's sold already! That's two potentially decent ones that have passed me by (both 2005). But I'm not in a rush so will hang around.

However I STILL have a few more questions before I go and view more cars!! ;) Firstly I've now uploaded the pics I took of the first car I saw. I just want to know if I was right in thinking this is quite a lot of rust all along the exhaust?? However I have read rusty exhausts are quite common with Foresters so maybe I was being unrealistic for a car of this age? (this was a 2005 example).

Lastly (definitely the last question for now!!), I've just started thinking about the possibility of the 2.0XT version rather than that 2.5 (would definitely be looking at the tubro version in both cases though). Because really it's the car that ticks all the boxes for me, in terms of clearance, space, AWD etc., and if I really think about it I might not need the extra power, unless the 2.0 seems underpowered for a car of this size or something like that? Is the 2.0XT much less juicy than the 2.5? Any other comparisons/opinions about the 2.0/2.5 versions? Cheers.

SubaruExhaust2_zpsd2c89d25.jpgSubaruExhaust1_zps04581767.jpg

I don't think the rust is to bad to be fair I've seen a lot worse then that. but then I guess it's how bad it is near the engine more then the back but that wouldn't bother me from the picture. I would swap the full stainless anyway :D

I have been told on long run's the 2.5 are better on fuel but not around town. Not to sure what it would be like for pulling the car I doubt be much in it really I've seen some quick 2.0ltr turbo's even with the size of the car.

the 2.5 tends to have lower down torque than the 2.0 however depending on how you drive the could both be as economical / uneconomical as each other

the exhaust looks like the non stainless part of my 2008 impreza my plan is also to replace with stainless option

• 1 month later...

Hi guys it's been a while since the last update, having unsuccessfully bidding on 2 or 3 Forester XT's I was getting a bit demoralised... I'd almost resigned to the fact I was going to find the right one for me, and that I would end up with a Mondeo ST220 or Volvo S60 T5 (or maybe S60R) instead! Even somehow even managed to talk myself into beleiving this would be a good idea and that I liked fron wheel drive!! ;). However I saw one listed on Saturday, had my first day off work for ages on Monday so decided to go and have a look. Didn't take long to decide, and I've ended up with this...

ForesterXT_zpsba6dd099.png

I did a very long drive yesterday and this thing is absolutely solid!! It's had only one owner from new, completely standard with no mods, 78,000 miles and only official Subaru services (including cam belt change at around 51,000 miles). A few very minor bodywork issues, to be expected, but very tidy, pretty much immaculate interior as far as I can tell and more importantly everything works perfectly!

To be honest now I've done quite a few miles in it just on the first day I think I'm totally happy with the performance. Really don't think I need any more power than it's got (though I'll look into the remapping options if they don't affect the mpg). However I do really want to upgrade the brakes, probably not to anything fancy/high maintenance (e.g. Brembo) but hopefully something a bit better than the stock brakes, which I don't think are sufficient for a car of this power. Will have a look around the mods bit of the forum for ideas... In terms of suspension I'm very happy, it feels absolutely solid and I really like the clearance so don't want to start mucking about with it probably (unless there are components like bushes which could be usefully upgraded). However I'm quite interested in anti sway bars, which somebody else mentioned to me already. Apart from that, slightly longer term I'd be interested in finding out about gearbox options (including maybe 6 speed conversion, as it could do with the 6th gear). Might not be practical though due to the cost of fitting, I'm keen to find out what the options are though and the prices, just in case. So will have a look for those on here. Cheers guys!

Oh yeah very minor niggle, on the motorway the wind noise is coming through the drivers door, so I guess the seal isn't 100% effective. I would imagine this is quite common on these due to the design of the window though? And even on a long journey I didn't find it too distracting at all, and got used to it after a while. However if it could be fixed cheaply I'd probably have a look at that

Welcome back mate and look's very nice even with the sun glare. :D And just in time for this snow that's meant to be here. As for the wind noise might be a problem but you do get it with these car's like you say if it let's water in then it's a seal problem. On'y other thing you could do is get some wind deflectors. Not sure where you get them from thought. :D 

welcome to the forum, i seem to have missed the initial posting, glad you stuck to your guns and eventually got one, with regards to the 6 speed i think you'll find it's the cost of the unit over the cost of the fitting, you need the box and rear diff and possibly the prop shaft, the setup second hand seems to be over £1000 easy, weith regards the wind noise, my impreza has wind noise through the drivers window once over 40ish mph, i've not had any water coming in though so it hasn't bothered me, the brakes issue is common on all subarus from what i have seen and the easiest and cheapest fix is a flex stopper, because the metal is so thin to keep the power/weight ratio up the bluk head flexes when you apply the brakes, the flex stopper does exactly that, stops flex, they can be bought new for around £40 and having driven an impreza without one then the same car with one the difference is very noticeable

this is the kit

Brake-Stopper-Subaru-Forester-SG9-Uzumak

this is it fitted

Brake-Stopper-Subaru-Forester-SG9-Uzumak

there are other makers of it so it's not just the cusco model available

Thanks guys for all the new info, brilliant forum I love it! Gambit yes there's a lot of glare in the pic but it covers up the scratches on the bodywork ha ha! ;) Which don't bother me much to be honest as they're really not bad and the main thing is the car seems to be mechanically absolutely 100% sound so far. Also looking underneath the car considerably less rust and more tidy looking than the example that I viewed earlier (my other concerns about the clutch/gearbox being stiff on that one were confirmed as well because the one I've bought was considerably better and drives a hell of a lot smoother).

I'll definitely look into the flex stopper as that sounds like a really good solution. Are there any brake pads you can recommend as well which might be a bit of an upgrade from the standard ones that might help as well? To be honest I've been driving it around a bit today and have almost got used to the brakes. They're still not really good enough though. If the flex stoppers improve them significantly though I'm sure it will be fine (don't want to get into Brembo or anything like that as it's overkill).

I did a long drive in the car yesterday, from London to Durham and back again. It was p***sing it down with rain almost the whole way there/back, and the wind noise wasn't even very distracting at all really to be honest. Will look into it though. I really don't think water leakage is an issue either, I got back in the car first thing this morning and it was bone dry.

Another thing, I was expectin the XT to be a bit more juicy than it turned out to be. It's only really when I put my foot down that I notice the needle starting to go down. I think because this one is so well serviced perhaps that helps a bit? I was expecting it to be something like my Mitsubishi VR4 Legnum which I had for about a year and a half. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as that, especially when I use the cruise control. The consumption on the VR4 just wasn't acceptable really. However the performance of the XT is very similar, so I'm really pleased with it in that respect. I was thinking at the back of my mind I'd have to probably change cars again fairly soon if the XT turned out to be very juicy. However the mpg was totally acceptable and I really think I will keep hold of this car for quite a while now. So I wouldn't rule out the idea of investing in a new gearbox if I'm gonna keep it for a few years, that's something I'm definitely going to look into now. Cheers.

• Like 2