Oil & Oil change

XVGUS

On 5 February 2018 at 12:41 PM, Swayze88 said:

Good luck with AF Noble, make sure and check they have tightened everything back up! :bangin:  Unfortunately us East coasters don't have much other choice to keep the service book happy.

There's now a Subaru main dealer in Galashiels but there very new so don't know if I would trust them. I was going to use Nobles as they've been there for years but now not to sure.

Norrie.

• 11 months later...

Just had another oil change experience in my diesel xv that I thought might benefit from documenting. 

Typical oil change no issues, however having drained the oil and removed the filter I wanted to check the mileage so I can write it on the filter. Anyway, I flicked the key to the accessory position took the reading then removed the key. No drama. Fitted the new filter, filled with oil then started the car. Oil level warning popped up and oil level light stayed on. 

This is not uncommon, and has happened to me the last few times, but often resolves itself once up to temp and turned on and off a few times. This time however the light refused to go off. I checked the oil level about 4 times out of paranoia. Drove to work and back and a few miles around the house. Light refused to go off. 

Anyway long story short, if this happens to you, the fix is a Battery off reset. Pop the negative lead off and leave off for a while (for safety sake I always put a window down in case the car does something odd and locks itself when you put the Battery back on). I did 15 mins. Pop it back on and fingers crossed the light goes out and the warning goes away. It did for me. 

Hopefully this helps anyone with a diesel if they come across this anomaly in the future. 

It's an odd onw, to check rhe oil in the xv d. Have to run engine, then turn off and is it 5 mins to wait then check the oil.

Mine still gets an anual

It's an odd One, to check the oil in the xv d. Have to run engine, then turn off and leave it 5 mins to check the oil.
Mine still gets an annual service by dealer, but i change the Oil  and filter in between and so its every 6 months.
The car I traded in was 20 years old and I do hope to have my diesel XV for as long at least, with luck. Since they’ve stopped making them and i am always towing stuff.
Do you reset the oil dilution  ecu setting every time too ?

20181007_143526.thumb.jpg.34e3aa7c2778ac30dc773dde7e9d90e7.jpg

Yup, I've started doing mine every 6,000 for the same reason, it's the first car I've bought on finance (read 1st not 150k+ miles beater). I do the oil dilution every time.
Checking the oil is the most annoying thing, I'd be happy if I could walk out to it cold and dip it. But no, warm car up, stop for 10 mins I think the manual says(?) then dip it.

Anyway, Battery off and the light and warnings are away, so life is orange again. Happy days.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk