Is it a good price?

NooniNooni

I’m finally looking to buy my childhood dream car the Subaru Impreza wrx. For lots of reasons it’s not been possible until now.

I have been “given permission” from the wife to buy a cheap run around car to get me to work and back and I think I’ve found the one. 

Its a 2001 silver Impreza wrx,

218bhp.

No rust,

no modifications, 

interior just okay

96000 miles.

1 issue with it is that it needs a new 02 sensor but apparently that’s it.

assuming all this is true when I go to inspect it this weekend what do you think would be a good price? The guy has quoted me £1500 which I think is really fair??? Am I being naive? 

Cheers,

p.s would post pics but they’ve been taken down as the ad has been removed until I go to see it this weekend. 

That 02 sensor sounds a bit like ''aircon just needs a regas''.

Might well be true and the seller himself is certain that's all it needs, but a new sensor might not fix the issue and the real problem might be 10 times the expense, and it beggars the question if that's all it needs why not put one on and flog it for more as a car that needs nothing doing.

Other than that it sounds OK for the money, presumably you've searched the MOT history online to get an idea of any mot problems and mileage consistency?

Yeah, I wondered the same thing but he works for US government and is being shipped back to America and it’s not worth shipping it back and only has a week to get rid of it. Done a check and everything in the history is fine. MOT about to expire but if I were in his shoes I wouldn’t pay for an MOT either. Assuming it is all the truth...

to be fair £1500 is prob what you could get from it stripping it out and parting it out (assuming engine is ok) so if you have time and do that will prob not loose money on it unless the engine is fubar.

• 2 months later...

TBH, the WRX is not a cheap run around car, its super high maintenance, realistically the second you buy it you need another £1000+ spare to get it in for a major service, the cambelt at that age is going to be due its second change unless you have proof its been done recently, thats another £500 right there.

Not saying its not worth is, because £1500 is still a good price, am just saying its going need more spending on it straight away, instantly assuming there is noting wrong with it its going to cost £800 for the Major Service with Cambelt, then its very likely going to cost another £500 - £1000 sorting out any issues found on the service, more if the tyres need changing.

The WRX is a great car but it does demand looking after.

I would seriously ask yourself before buying how many miles a year you are going to be needing it for, because honestly as much as I love the car,  I would have one if I was doing a high number of miles every year, I do around 6,000 per year and have it serviced twice a year, if get a Major Service every time it has its MOT and and interim Service between after 6 months which for me is only around 3,000 miles, plus I deal with all minor defects found on every service.

A least that what I did with my last WRX, I am on my second one now which I purchased though a back street used car garage, would not go as far as calling them dodgy but the type of place thats hit and miss, they put a years MOT on before I purchased, I have no complaints because I knew what I was getting in for, but I have already spend near £1000 getting that car right and its going to cost me another £700 before I finish

Fact is despite it just having passed MOT days before, instantly took it for a Major Service, I have taken a picture of the service sheet I got back from Halfords, although I dont need Halfords to do the work I like them to do Services in my experience they always give 100% honest reliable feedback from there services.

After paying for the service, its basically cost me another £420 to pick up all the parts, its going to cost me another £200 for the help I need to fit them, and thats because a good friend of mine is a professional mechanic, he is going to help me out this weekend to do all the work. But to be paying any honest garage, its basically 1.5 hours work each corner of the car (6 hours total) plus an hour for the spark plugs and belt, so 7 to 8 hours work at £50 per hour, you would be looking around £400 in labour maybe more.

Then after all that, one of my tyres is completely fk'ed, the one thing about the car I was very unhappy to see got put though the MOT, has a massive bulge in it waiting to to go pop, the rest are road legal but the entire car is wearing cheap rubber so wont be feeling bad when all the suspension work is complete for giving it 4 new tyre, which is going to be another £420 plus tracking.

Am lucky in the fact mine is not due for a cambelt for a while because I have evidence it was done back in 2014 and is just less than 20,000 miles old.

But this is the real cost of running a Scooby, but treat it right and it will treat you right as well, best cars out there and worth every penny imo.

20181004_100639.jpg