Tyre pressure sensor reset

Dogconker

Not exactly a diy reset, system status resets based on ecu logic of values correct from sensors while vehicle in motion (sensors awake) .

If no faults and pressures correct then system should correct status after a drive cycle, if not tpms sensor could be faulty or system itself and scan tool with tpms or dedicated tpms tool needed go further (tpms sensors are coded to control module) .

Some no special tool tricks to overcome some faults are deflate and reflate tyre to help a sticky sensor, disconnect car Battery and see if tpms status stays off .

I reset mine by using the TPMS switch presss for a few seconds, then press to select TPMS 1, 2 or 3, then press again for a few seconds.  Works every time. (2018. XV but I guess it’s going to be very similar whatever the year). I understand that the 3 options are for say summer, winter or towing pressure.

The day I picked up the Levorg it went off and would not reset (following the procedure as Ernie desribed.) I took it back a couple of days later (once the dealer had received some new valves, just in case) and they reset it after plugging it in to their magic machines. It has been fine since then (14 months.)

Even after a puncture it would reset until the pressure dropped some more. I reset it again once the puncture was repaired and not had a peep from it.

Apparently the Battery in the valve is only good for a few years (in general, not just Subaru) so that may be the problem.

My understanding is that the TPMS setup will allow you to select the tyre pressure units, psi etc., and three different sets of pressure values.

So I have TPMS 1 set to normal tyre pressures and could have TPMS 2 set to winter tyre pressures and TPMS 3 set to caravan towing pressures.  No need for anything other than set the tyre pressure and reset TPMS with the dash button at 15 degree C approx.  (Unless the Battery fails, typically 5-6 years, the system sleeps until the wheel rotates) I had a new TPMS sensor fitted when the tyres were changed and one was damaged, the fitter used an OBD 2 connector to pair the new sensor with the car. ( he’d checked each sensor out by passing a device over the tyre valve and waking the sensor to teil what pressure was set)

• 2 years later...

The TPMS is really most tiresome and annoying. Every time I change from winter to summer, and vice versa, tyres, the TPMS warning comes on. Have been through the TPMS setup routine five times and driven a total of 50 km on multiple journeys, but to no avail. Don’t feel like sitting on a garage forecourt and rapidly deflating and reflating each tyre to see if it fixes it.

It seems that for every tyre change, the TPMS diagnostic scan tool / TPMS activation tool has to be run to rest the sensors. The dealer is some distance away and I don’t see why I have to visit them twice a year for this service which they for sure will start charging me as soon as the car warranty expires.

There must be an easier fix.

Finally, one begins to ignore the warning if all tyres are correctly inflated and it is falsely displaying, which is  a very D A N G E R O U S thing indeed

@Anthoby,  Agree the system is frustratingly complex but works well when it's set correctly.  It's one of a number of strange anomalies that are part of the Subaru designs along with, for me, is the lack of a memory setting for the electric seat settings. Change the driver, car goes for a service and your back to square one?

you could buy the autel tpms interface or go to a independent that can clone the tpms sensors so your winter set has same sensor ID's .
To be quite honest tpms is another example of throwing electronics at it just for sake rather than real long term benefit and really is a waste of time money and materials used in general public vehicles . USA nanny state rules what got this into normal production cars worldwide ...

@Mr B,  I agree with the sentiment it's a technology I could and did for many years live without.  The problem arrises that if it's on the car it needs to work. However, the Eyesight camera technology I really love.

Winter tyres are a a pain which is why I moved to Michelin Cross Climates, maybe not the perfect solution but comes very close especially in the UK and I do not have the hassle of changing them every year, storage and trying to guess when to make the change either way.

In the case of tpms it tends work as a safety negative on older vehicles (and only few years old at that) as most driving round with faults and they don't want pay the extra costs dealing with tpms, this means even simple tyre change tends get put off and when do they cut tyre quality to offset cost of tpms issues being put right during tyre install .
quite simply yours eyes and a £5 tyre gauge far better option, visual checking of tyres is far more important than pressure and tpms just makes people more lazy and less involved & educated and less wealthy lol .
On general private use vehicles it a complete waste of resources and typical example of throwing technology at something and actually making safety and environment impact worse but advertisement and safety claims better on paper only ...

• Like 1

I’m in Austria where winter tyres are mandatory so I have no option but to change. In hindsight I could have saved myself money by not buying an extra set of wheels and to just have the tyres changed over.

I always used to check the tyre pressures with a hand gauge that I trusted, but with TPMS one gets lazy and also modern electric power steering takes some of the feel away, so it is not so easy to tell when driving if one has a slow puncture.

I would like to do away with TPMS, which I think is only mandatory for run flat tyres, and my question now is, how do I permanently cancel the warning lights and messages telling me to consult the owners manual.

I have now been told that it is a legal requirement in the EU to have a functioning TPMS on all cars built since 2018.  So I'm stuck with it.  It took the local Subaru service garage four hours to change the wheels last time, and I don't have the patience to hang around for this, so I used an independent tyre service who didn't reset the TPMS.  The car is less than one year old and I bought the winter tyres and wheels from the same Subaru dealer as the car thinking that they would give me a set of wheels compatible with the Subaru TPMS.  Now the Subaru garage tell me I'll have to visit them every time I change the wheels and they will charge me one hour's labour for this.  I am quite naturally   O U T R A G E D.

The TPMS that Subaru fit is the same as used by Toyota, so I cannot believe that they have designed it so, that the TPMS learns and remembers four sensors in one set of wheels but not a further four in a second set.  Does one really have to reset the TPMS every time ?  Or have the local Subaru service not set the car up correctly ?

I can add that the OEM sensors are very expensive having had one damaged when I had the new tyres fitted.  The fitters had a variety of sensors none of which was compatible so I ordered one from my dealer and the fitters paid for it. It cost £125.  Soooooo very expensive.

I use autel tpms and sensors, sensors are around £160 a set of 4 .
you can clone the original sensor ID's to a second set of wheels which handy .

Reality is it should be easy for owner add/service sensors all from cars interface really and made a legal requirement to manufacture design .

I see many owners who simply use a neatly cut piece of insulating rape to cover the tpms light lol .

The current design and cost of tpms is usual modern era stupidity creating more hassle, cost and negligence than ever but someone profiting !  ...

• 3 years later...

Thanks everybody for your useful conversations about Sub tpms. I have the same needs for a winter set on my XV.

I bought 4 rims and 4 winter tyres. 

So to summarize I have now to buy four tpms valves, ask my wheels indépendant to use his obd system to clone the four ID's of tpms valves of my summer set and paste them on the corresponding tpms valves of my winter set.  (right front, lf, rr and lr). Correct? 

Jacques Durand 

Privas France