Subaru Won't start :(

Tony Holman

Hey, new member here.

After some advice to rectify what is already beginning to become rather annoying.

So my Bug 2002 Impreza Wrx will not start.....

What it is doing is repeatedly clicking (starter Motor?)

I turn the ignition to "On" and get the Droning sound (Fuel Pump?) and then it just clicks and clicks, Like its trying to turn over. 

What i have done is: Replaced the Battery, Changed the starter motor (2nd hand). I have new spark plugs, and the engine is not ceased (had large torque on main bolt and it turns smooth).

When I turn the key the light on the dash beside the clock (Sigma alarm) goes off, so not Immobilizer I don't think.

Have sat in car entered the Key code in manually on and off locks doors and bleeps and then again unlocks doors and bleeps and still no joy.

I am not near any Cell masts that would prevent signal from the keyfob. And all earths in the car appear to be grounded correctly.

Its almost like the car wants to run but there is either no Fuel getting to it (Poured some fresh in from a Jerry Can, Just incase!) or there is no spark to ignite.

I am getting rather Frustrated with this one, and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Kindest regards Tony.

Subaru_for_Forum.thumb.jpg.240ddf97a2462ee75b29bc1682ac3f52.jpg

Could very well be, I've had new batteries before that have been duff, was gonna say if u where local I'd of popped round and had a butchers with you, but I feel your not local to me haha

Loud pipes save lives

Generally if Battery good high resistance (terminal corrosion, bad wire ect) in 12V supply cable or the ground causes symptoms you got .

If you got a multimeter and know how perform voltage drop tests you likely find issue pretty quick.

A quick option is using jump cable as direct ground from Battery to starter and can do same for + side too if ground makes no difference .

• Like 1

Cheers Mattie, 

Is there any way that this could be the immobilizer? 

Before all this occurred I thought i had changed the keypad code (as it didn't come with the car?!?!?! 10 chuffin owners!!!!!) did the *17856*newpin*newpin# thingy and it seemed to have worked as when entered the doors locked and beeped twice and then unlocked and beeped twice as normal. ran it a couple of times with no issues and then all of a sudden this. 

how else can i tell if the immobilizer is the root cause? 

If it ran since you played with it then there is a good chance it's not that, check the 3 wires on the back are all connected right and have good contact.
May be worth at this stage considering taking the starter out and bench testing it to eliminate it completely from the possibly duff category

Loud pipes save lives

• Like 1

Update.... "She's alive! She's alive!"

Decided to connect negative from Battery to engine with a set of jumper cables and all of a sudden Brrrroooooommm.....biggest smile on my face ever....🤣🤣🤣🤣

Have rigged a earth to engine from top earth connection on manifold direct to Battery and she starts every time now.

Just want to thank you guys for your suggestions 👍👍👍👍

Without your aid probably wouldn't have found it and ended up spending hundreds more on it...

Cheers guys very appreciative of your help.

Tony.

• Like 2

Yeh obvious it power feed or ground issue to starter .

The clicking is solenoid activating then starter wants huge supply of current but can't get it and solenoid effected from power draw and cycle commences of solenoid clicking on and off.

jump cable oldest low tech trick in the book, you can diagnose these in 2 minutes with a multimeter with a voltage drop test (you must test circuits when in use/loaded)

plenty info and vids on voltage drop testing starter wiring for those who want have a try .

glad job jobbed

lesson learn here is don't swap parts, learn how test things first .

• Like 2