Brake Pipe recall

My pet Subaru Leggie has recently had a Brake Pipe recall from Subaru (UK), I took it to Budgen Motors (newly appointed) for the recall in August  In September there was a brake fluid leak and the brake light came on, but disappeared when the fluid was topped up.  In November, Scooby failed his MOT due to Brake fluid leak.  Budgen  Motors have said it has nothing to do with them, they carried out the check and it wasn't leaking.  Has any one else had similar issues?

18 hours ago, Tidgy said:

So was it just an inspection or did they change anything?

Hi - it was just an inspection.  They said there wasn't a leak when they checked it but it just seems a coincidence that there's one now.  It's going to cost around £500.00 to get

it put right - Subaru haven't any of the parts in stock.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:29 AM, Tidgy said:

what work was actually carried out?

where is the brake fluid leak coming from?

There was no work carried out - and the leak is coming from the rear near side I believe (it's with a garage at the moment), around the area of the petrol tank.  The Subaru dealer said they have checked it, but it would not be visible during an MOT inspection.  Now it will cost transport costs of approx £130.00 to get it to a Subaru workshop approx 30 miles away from the MOT station, and then £500.00 for the repair.  

22 hours ago, walkersteve2005 said:

Hi

Had this recall done in the summer at a main dealer, they told me the pipe in question is not visible at an MOT( hidden under a panel) hence the recall.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi - 

Yes  the MOT station said the area was not visible but the leak is coming from the vicinity where the recall issue was located.  But apparently they are supposed to coat it with some substance - I don't know how they car access the area that easily.  Just a coincidence  - if I had have left the recall appointment for another month then the problem would had been obvious.

3 hours ago, Evie Kirkham said:

Hi - it was just an inspection.  They said there wasn't a leak when they checked it but it just seems a coincidence that there's one now.  It's going to cost around £500.00 to get

it put right - Subaru haven't any of the parts in stock.

They could well have looked at it and there wasn't a leak, you could drive a mile, check again and there's a leak. So they are correct in saying it's nothing to do with them at that time.

However, if the part has failed (aka a leak is now present) and there is a recall to check for that very thing i would expect it to be covered, that is the whole reason of the recall, had the inspection found something they would have had to do it at the time. Since subaru is aware of the problem, i would expect they can claim back the cost from subaru anyway.

I would speak to the DVSA and ask the question. I would expect they will take a very dim view if you are being fobbed off.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the DVSA that deal with recalls, not the DVLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other option is speak to Keith Price subaru south of you (its 3 miles further way so not a major difference) and see what they say, the subaru dealer network is very hit and miss, i have one within 2 miles of my house (geoff cox) and they made a complete hash of some work on my mrs car, yet europa up north have been great.

As above this is a known issue that mostly affects the legacy models, the coating is an anticorrosion layer but wont seal if the damage has already been done - stick to your guns 👍

Hello - thank you Jay762 - my Subaru has now been deemed unfit to drive!!!  At the end of August the car was passed off as 'Fine - no further action needed' by Budgen Motors, Shrewsbury, Shropshire.  Now after the MOT it has been deemed UNSAFE and DANGEROUS because of the brake fluid leak above the petrol tank - which I am told by the technician at the garage it is stranded at - can only be the FAULTY BRAKE PIPE.  Subaru have, incidentally run out of the part apparently.  I now have to pay £100.00 plus to get it to another Subaru Dealer (Keith Price Motors) and get the problem fixed.  I am in deep now at the point of no return.  I'm am totally angry!!!!!!!

On 12/13/2018 at 3:14 PM, Greenmamba said:

I'd kick up a stink with Subaru. if  a brakeline under recall leaks a month after recall inspection, the inspection was feeble - should have picked up imminent failure.

FEEBLE inspection being the operative word.  Now my car is unfit to drive, according to the MOT

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - update on my Scooby for anyone else who may encounter problems.  Had to pay for my car to be transported 30 miles from the MOT garage to Keith Price Motors.  RAC wouldn't cover the costs of transport as it was from garage to garage.  Quite alarming to see all over the failure certificate ' DANGEROUS - UNFIT TO DRIVE.  The Volvo garage holding the car also wouldn't let me drive it because of the Brake pipe leaking - by the time the car had sat there stationary for a couple of days, there was no brake fluid in the car at all.  Now at Keith Price over Christmas period awaiting parts from Japan. 

On 12/28/2018 at 12:53 PM, Evie Kirkham said:

Hello - update on my Scooby for anyone else who may encounter problems.  Had to pay for my car to be transported 30 miles from the MOT garage to Keith Price Motors.  RAC wouldn't cover the costs of transport as it was from garage to garage.  Quite alarming to see all over the failure certificate ' DANGEROUS - UNFIT TO DRIVE.  The Volvo garage holding the car also wouldn't let me drive it because of the Brake pipe leaking - by the time the car had sat there stationary for a couple of days, there was no brake fluid in the car at all.  Now at Keith Price over Christmas period awaiting parts from Japan. 

Are they saying it's covered by the recall?