Td05 turbo repair

Fixed my broken turbo today as it had a crack in the exhaust housing. Started off by splitting the 2nd hand one i got from the bay at a reasonable price as there was too much play in the shaft, then got busy under the bonnet disconnecting the up-pipe and down pipe luckily the bolt for the clamp which hold the two halves of the turbo together was at the top so took that off next and managed to get the housing out with leaving the turbo in place, as i lifted the housing clear a large part of the flange ( haha flange ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ ) fell off then wrestled the new housing in whilst filling the swear jar, please note though the only reason a could do it in place was because all the studs came out rather than just the nuts, anyway refitted the clamp and exhaust pipes fired her up and not sounding like a tractor, happy days ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘, i took pics but for sone reason it won't let me post them ๐Ÿคจ

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been having a little boost spike problem since repairing the turbo so took it off and found the wastegate hole to be 10mm smaller than on the original one so must be a copy exhaust housing i bought, the original wastegate hole is 25mm and the new one 15mmย 

20190409_085035.thumb.jpg.f9dc1d8d2dad238c6b7f4706e4f82cf9.jpg

So i got my die grinder out and done a bit of self porting to make the hole the same size as the old one so as to give the exhaust gas a bigger surface area to push on the penny which in theory should open easier thus eliminating the boost spike ( hopefully )20190410_124103.thumb.jpg.fa4a962b617671e8858fa005e60feabc.jpg

, got the turbo back on after work today but not finished yet as have to fit a caliper to the wife's car ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿคจ, will update tomorrow when i finish the job and have a wee blast along the road ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

Thought that might have been the reason for yourย boost issues but tbh my money would've been on a faulty actuator.ย 

You might have to refit the actuator it was mapped with too , so it has the same strength spring that it was mapped with ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 1

Seems to have done the trick mate, finished it off last night and got it out today although i never really got to boost it much as was in traffic most of the way, going out soon so will see how things go ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1