WRX Water pump removal

Assume yours is a 2.5 ltr ?

Ive never worked on 2.5 but from what I understand it's only mainly a 3mm bigger dia piston and a slightly longer throw on the crank , that is different in order to make more displacement .

Otherwise the blocks are very similar and have the same outside dimensions. 

If that's the case,  you'd need to lock the left bank cams with a tool and remove the cam belt but the pulleys can remain institu on a 2ltr .

Here's a pic of my ej207 single avcs engine with cam lock in place and water pump fitted , you can see the cam pulleys aren't close enough to be in the way of water pump removal .

I can't say 100% for the 2.5 but cam pulley removal is definitely not needed on the ej20g, ej20k,ej205 and ej207 .

The timing belt bottom "toothed" idle pulley/sprocket might have to come off but tbh I've always fitted fitted full belt kits and pumps at the same time .

Screenshot_20190603-174629_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

Cheers. I will check the manual for the 2 litre see if that's reckons you require removing the sprockets. If it does I guess it must be an error based on your info.

It does seem as if there would be room to clear the pump.

The manual for the 2 liter also states you have to remove the sprockets. I guess you can get the pump in but is made easier if you remove the sprockets to remove the plastic cover.

Thank Bulldogs

• Like 1

Tbh I've always fitted the new pumps when building a short block ,then fitted the heads afterwards .

I'd imagine it would be difficult to hold the cams in position to remove the belt and remove then cam pulleys .There might be enough room to undo and pull the timing belt backing plate forward to get to the pump ? 

But that's only a guess , maybe someone like @Mr B would know ?

As he does much more maintenance to other peoples scoobs than me .

• Thanks 1

No need take cam sprockets off . back plate not in way .

Be sure take rad and fans out in one unit (nothing gain leaving rad in if doing pump), better working space saves time and saves damaging fins of rad or worse .

• Thanks 2