Outback 5th Gen guide

Danieldj

Hello to everyone, I'm Daniel I live in Spain and I'm in the process of buying Subaru outback from 2015 2.0d with automatic gearbox. I tried the car and I really liked it, comes with everything that was available, gearbox works really smooth and I have a couple of questions because Subaru is almost completely unknown to me. I know they had big issues with this diesel engine and my question is this sorted in this last models and does this car comes with timing belt or chain and if it's a belt when needs to be changed? Thanks in advance 

Ola Daniel. The Subaru diesels are chain driven, so no belt to worry about. I think the initial issues with the engines were dealt with by 2015. I have a 2.5 petrol which I converted to lpg, it's cheaper to run than the diesel! There was a YouTube video from Spain comparing diesel/lpg outbacks, might be worth a watch? Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for the reply I always preferred cars with chain( I come from a BMW) , I've bought the car last Friday so I'm with it 1 week now and I'm really enjoying it. Very nice car, nice smooth and a lot of space. 

Btw I'm not Spanish just living here 😂

• 1 month later...

With regard to diesel reliability my 2009 (2010 model year) has now done 189,000 mls with no attention to the engine. Had to have the dpf ultrasonically cleaned after an air hose split but fine now!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys . I really want a Subaru Outback it is 66' plate 2.0 D premium with CVT gearbox. I have read so much on the reliability of these cars quite frankly i do not know what to do . I read the 2.0 D crankshaft breaks , the glow plugs fail regularly , the CVT causes problems after 60,000 miles just after the warranty expires . Please can someone reassure me as to reliability . My intended car comes with 2 and a bit years of warranty but not the CVT and glow plugs . What do you think ? 

On 10/12/2019 at 11:09 PM, Cosmicalien said:

Hi guys . I really want a Subaru Outback it is 66' plate 2.0 D premium with CVT gearbox. I have read so much on the reliability of these cars quite frankly i do not know what to do . I read the 2.0 D crankshaft breaks , the glow plugs fail regularly , the CVT causes problems after 60,000 miles just after the warranty expires . Please can someone reassure me as to reliability . My intended car comes with 2 and a bit years of warranty but not the CVT and glow plugs . What do you think ? 

Go petrol unless you intend doing over 15-16k per year and distance miles not urban driving and if you are still determined to go diesel consider a VW

Hi Jay i did not even know you replied . I do 9000 miles pa 40 miles a day round trip to work 20 miles country route and 20 miles motorway every day. I dont think the DPF will be a issue . I have been told by Subaru that the crankshaft issue was sorted after the 2010 models .