VF34 OR VF35

hi guys so at the minute iv'e got a 2003 wrx with

• TD04 hybrid
  • RCM fuel pump
  • K&N apollo induction kit
  • full decat
  • raptor back box
  • remapped

running 279bhp but i want to get around 320ish so looking at new turbo with sti injectors then remap, would i need any other mods and which is the better turbo in people's opinions the vf34 or vf35. im assuming there's not much difference but the 35 seems to be half the price than the 34, appreciate any help and input

• 1 month later...

The vf35 is a slightly faster spooling turbo but it will not produce as much top end as the 34, the 34 is the better turbo but more pricey and harder to get hold of. If you are doing the injectors I would put the NGK PFR 7B uprated spark plugs on too

2 hours ago, Hudson said:

The vf35 is a slightly faster spooling turbo but it will not produce as much top end as the 34, the 34 is the better turbo but more pricey and harder to get hold of. If you are doing the injectors I would put the NGK PFR 7B uprated spark plugs on too

not so in practise, the change to roller bearings mroe than makes up for it, my 34 considerably outspooled 35's on other cars with same spec. Although with the caviat different cars react differently and i never tried a 35 on mine. For the price of a new 34 your nocking on the door of an sc36 which will outspool and outpeak both, really depends on how much you want to spend.

on a stock wrx motor i'd say stick with a 35 as the price is alot cheaper and isn't gonna push it beyond the limit of the box and engine.

19 hours ago, Tidgy said:

not so in practise, the change to roller bearings mroe than makes up for it, my 34 considerably outspooled 35's on other cars with same spec. Although with the caviat different cars react differently and i never tried a 35 on mine. For the price of a new 34 your nocking on the door of an sc36 which will outspool and outpeak both, really depends on how much you want to spend.

on a stock wrx motor i'd say stick with a 35 as the price is alot cheaper and isn't gonna push it beyond the limit of the box and engine.

yeah sc36 definitely isn't a good idea on a wrx with stock box and internals... I tried a friends car with a vf35 that was running roughly 320 and then I was mis-sold what I thought was a vf35 as it had the markings on the compressor housing but had been rebuilt with a different bearing housing and vf34/30 turbine housing and produced just shy of 350 at the mappers and more smiles behind the wheel than the latter, only paid the vf35 price too as the breaker mistook it for the 35 too 

2 hours ago, Hudson said:

yeah sc36 definitely isn't a good idea on a wrx with stock box and internals... I tried a friends car with a vf35 that was running roughly 320 and then I was mis-sold what I thought was a vf35 as it had the markings on the compressor housing but had been rebuilt with a different bearing housing and vf34/30 turbine housing and produced just shy of 350 at the mappers and more smiles behind the wheel than the latter, only paid the vf35 price too as the breaker mistook it for the 35 too 

yeah hybrids can be a total unknown second hand. sounds like it worked in your favour though haha