Broken rear light

Judd

What a bind, managed to break the clear plastic lens on the OSR light cluster, SG9 2008.

Anyone breaking one of these, or any suggestion where to find a new lamp unit at an affordable price, dare say i'll need to be sitting down at the dealer parts desk if i have to go there.

Sadly not, mine is the last year of SG9 production, but thanks for looking.

Fortunately the clear cover is punctured with a 50p sized hole which clear tape has waterproofed, so it's not desperately urgent to replace, just looks bad...could have been a lot worse, luckily the tailgate was open when the tubular steel gate fell on the car (one of the dogs trying to get at birds in the hedge must have shifted it) otherwise the tailgate rear window might have been smashed as well plus the tailgate would have needed painting, so i'm grateful it was only the light unit.

Any idea what a new one from Subaru would cost, just out of interest.

lamp unit arrived quickly, well packaged and in good condition, all at a very fair price £23 plus free postage 😎, i transferred the small loom and light fittings and bulbs from my broken light onto the bought in lamp body cos mine is a low mileage motor that has seen almost no salt...thanks goodness Scoobys are old school made ie philips screws to hold the loom on, doing things like this isn't always possible on euroboxes.

not sure how much they are involved with Subarus, they seem to be a general scrappy, but you could do worse than look up ''daautopartsdirect'' (Dumfries based i believe) on the bay of E if you need used parts if my experience is anything to go by.

No photos - didnt happen 😁

I think scoobs use JIS screws which look like philips but are slightly different, not quite as deep so sometimes, particularly on small screws they can be rounded off

I wish it hadn't happened, my fault leaving that blinking gate where it was, it's hardly a surprise when a cocker and sprocker/retriever (appears to have been something else in our cocker's heritage, hence George's rather unusual make up) go bonkers when chasing anything that moves.

Whatever the screws are, this is one aspect of Japanese cars (Subaru/Toyota) i really like, even after donkeys years seldom does a bolt or screw fail to undo, unlike other euro makes where you are lucky if anything underneath suspension wise especially comes apart without extensive use of an angle grinder or gas axe.

Lamp unit bargain posted, made job easy and no big expense .

Yes Subaru pretty easy work on, Fasteners and wiring connectors way better than Euro cars in general .

Screw heads are JIS, while phillips fits JIS screwdrivers do fit better and reduce cam-out in tough scenarios .

vessel do some nice screwdrivers

post-297194-0-10691700-1393492211-590x48

Thankyou chaps, i'll invest in a set of JIS screwdrivers, and keep them separate, only have the one old verging on classic Merc now so any tinkering i do from now on will be on Toyota or Subaru, or the odd whatever box the daughters buy into, one is into Honda in a big way, not sure what screws they use both cars made in Swindon.

My only complaint about Subarus is just how awkward spark plug changes are, i still bear the scars on the back of my wrists from fitting a set to the H6 Outback some 5/6 years back.

You learn summat every day, had Japanese cars for many years, mainly Landcruisers (i still have one. the Forester is really SWMBO baby) and in all that time i never knew that they had a specific screw head pattern.

15 hours ago, Juddian said:

You learn summat every day, had Japanese cars for many years, mainly Landcruisers (i still have one. the Forester is really SWMBO baby) and in all that time i never knew that they had a specific screw head pattern.

I have owned Kawasaki and Yamahas for years - could never work out why I repeatedly chewed the heads on the front brake reservoir cap screws 🙄