WRX Clutch judder?

Linx

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing a lot of shaking as I let the clutch up slowly. It's pulling away and changing down when coming to a stop. Other than that the clutch works fine. No sign of slip at all and the bite point is not very high. Is this a symptom of anything in particular? Could it be CV joints? I'm planning on having a closer look tomorrow as I have a bit of vibration all the time but any advice greatfully recieved. Thanks.

could be the flywheel or the clutch plate itself.

CV joints are easy to check - full lock in a car park and drive in a slow circle back and forth listen for clunking however if it were joints there would be a constant cyclic noise that changed in relation to speed

If you know the cars service history or know the clutch has been replaced at some point , it could be a leaky crankshaft oil seal or oil separator plate contaminating the clutch .

Theres a access bung on the back of the block that allows you to see the back of the flywheel and a plate that covers the gearbox bellhousing underneath,  that also allows you to inspect the clutch /flywheel assembly. 

Could check to see if you can spot any oil leaking. 

The other thing worth checking is the level and colour of the fluid in the clutch reservoir.  As a clutch fluid refresh often gets forgotten at service time and a refresh can make a world of difference 

Thanks. I'll have to look for those covers. The cars done 116k miles. Never had a new clutch. Gearbox oil on the dipstick looks fine and clutch fluid is fine. I change it annually.

I've only ever owned 1 scooby with the original clutch and that started slipping at 95k when I had a remap .

At 116k the clutch is probably near the end of its life , if you do decide to get a new one fitted . Make sure they skim the flywheel and replace the rear crank oil seal and spigot bearing. 

As a tramlined flywheel wheel cause the new clutch to wear unevenly and the oil seal makes sense to change while the clutch and box are off 

• Like 2