Ej255 engine rebuild query?

Just stripped down my 2006 forester xt ej255 to do head gaskets as they had blown. The heads are away getting skimmed. So I’ve got to wait 2 weeks. So I got thinking what else can I do while my engine is out and apart??

i know these engines suffer with ringland failure. So I thought while I’m hear I might aswell change them. My question is what else is worth doing while I’m here? Do the factory con rods give problems? Big end bearings? 
I don’t want to strip the whole engine and go mad. I’m just being cautious. It’s only got 52k miles and I won’t be pulling stupid horse power. Just a nice exhaust and a remap! 
cheers guys and girls. 

Think most replace the pistons and rings with aftermarket in order to avoid issues with ring lands   factory rods are good for 380hp afaik but if your thinking of keeping it and can save on labour costs by doing it yourself ?

I'd echo what tidgy has said and for the sake of another £300 ish split the block ,inspect the crank journals and fit new shells. 

You got 2 choices on these.

Good effort on headgaskets or full rebuild .

I've done a lot of them over the years and for road use standard cars if they good order low mileage head gasket issue dealt with quickly and no to light mods I done head gaskets only no issues if it passes my inspection criteria .
And yes I warranty a head gaskets only as I know from experience it a long term repair if initial engine evaluation done .
Full rebuilds are not without risks and you got be very choosy on who does the work, what machine shops and techniques/finishes they use and what parts are used . Most of your machine shops are useless, we have many local but need send parts 90 miles away to get work done to high enough standard and have more advanced machining solutions.

The bearing issues arise from service neglect, neglect in dealing with head gasket symptoms and power increases .

Full rebuilds became a tuner norm as more money to be made for less pre repair inspection effort and less risk plus most of their customer base more likely benefit or be willing pay for rebuilt engine .

If bottom end was inspected with stethoscope, oil examined, bores scoped, general engine state and vehicle use and owners needs listened to then right choice can be made .
Quite simply you can't bill every 2.5 customer a full rebuild. The engine and the owners need dictate what truly needs doing .
UK market for 2.5 is small, if look at US, Canada and Australia you get a far better understanding of 2.5 repairs .