Very light smoke

Daryl

As tidgy has said the rocker gasket and half moons are the usual culprits in that area .

20200621_095527.thumb.jpg.2601f07a307f125124064bb077627bb9.jpg

As the up pipe runs very close to the seals on that side and they get brittle from the heat cycles. Only other thing that has oil in that area is the turbo , so might be worth checking the turbo oil drain and feed before ordering anything 😉

• Thanks 1

Thanks savage much appreciated I'm a novice with these engines still the picture helped I'm on the wave length now👍 I'm gonna have a proper look tonight ill get it jacked up tonight an try an get a better look underneath. As for checking the turbo drain an feed where about is that?

Something I've just thought about I recently had the IC off so I could change the pcv...  I used oil for lube to get the ic back in could it have maybe blown through an caused the white smoke?

• Like 1

If the smoke is in the bay and not coming out of the back box then it sounds like a external leak dripping on the exhaust system ,rather than a internal leak (engine burning oil).

This is on a ej207 I built but the oil feed to the turbo connects to the white circle.

Then goes through the turbo , drains down a rubber pipe (bottom centre of the turbo) and into a hard pipe that returns the oil into the engine where the yellow "circle " (excuse my sausage finger circle drawing ) 😂

20200621_111349.jpg.ab263bcdf5cee3fb14226fae79db5e70.jpg

The turbo drain pipe is probably best seen from underneath and is held to the turbo oil drain take off and oil drain return hard pipe by spring clips .

Tbh it's more likely to be the cam cover gasket/half moons but thought its worth mentioning the above while your looking in that area .

Wouldn't want to say whether it's safe to drive, as it depends how bad the leak is and where it comes from but if you need to use it .... keep a eye on levels and off boost ,as if its leaking oil too much it might cause a drop in oil pressure.

• Thanks 1

Gonna get it taken home an see if it's not a spark plug I havent tightened properly a few month ago🤦‍♂️. This seems like it's a completely different problem to the mystery turbo smoke, but thanks for the tips savage, that makes sense it being an external leak, one thing I did notice even after just idling the only odour this light smoke has is that heat smell, I just realised aswell the engine in the first pic you sent has a different turbo layout to mine  I'll try an attach a pic

got it home plug on cylinder 2 wasnt loose looks fine aswell to me... could it be the coil pack? The pack has some kind of putty around where the connector goes into it looks a bit suspect🤔 

3 hours ago, Daryl said:

Gonna get it taken home an see if it's not a spark plug I havent tightened properly a few month ago🤦‍♂️. This seems like it's a completely different problem to the mystery turbo smoke, but thanks for the tips savage, that makes sense it being an external leak, one thing I did notice even after just idling the only odour this light smoke has is that heat smell, I just realised aswell the engine in the first pic you sent has a different turbo layout to mine  I'll try an attach a pic

It doesnt have a different layout I'm an idiot🤦‍♂️

My old bug sti ej207 might look a bit different due to the tgv delete and avcs oil feed but essentially all turbo impreza from 92 to late 04 (twin scroll) are a very similar set up bud .

Heres a pic of that area with the turbo fitted .530742458_Screenshot_20200621-111157_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9b41ffb56955408ab95b1233dd6a45c2.jpg

The pipe with the heat shield fitted is the coolant return the oil return is the other pipe in that area but it's more central as it leaves the turbo drain pipe and attaches to the block on the lower left 😉

The misfire could well be either a dodgy coil pack or the coilpack plug not seating properly , especially if it has some putty bogged around it .

Try removing the coilpack and plug ,then giving them a good clean up ,to insure good contact is being made . 

Swap number 2 coilpack for one off a different cylinder,  reset the ECU and restart . If the code goes away it was a loose connection and if the coilpack plug is still loose , cable tie it on to stop it vibrating loose .

If the code comes back but it's on the cylinder you moved the original no2 cylinder coilpack to , then the original no 2 cylinder coilpack is at fault 🤓😉

Still havent had chance to get under an look yet , with yesterday's shenanigans, 3 hrs on the m8 in the rain😂, cut a long story short though turned the engine over this morning idling perfect, all I did last night was remove Battery, coil pack and plug to check it over, gave the connector a bit of a push on put it back together that's it, anyways took it for a run for an hr today running fine never used any boost but I'm gonna take your advice an tie wrap the connector on just to be sure👍. An thanks again for the pics I know what I'm looking at now mate again much appreciated taking the time, it hasnt smoked at all today so maybe whatever it was has burnt off, I'm quite on the ball with the oil level an I've not noticed any drop at all, so if it is a leak it must be very little. But I'll stick my head under tommorow now I know what I'm looking for. Also me being paranoid about the turbo being too hot from little load is normal heat had it into sw motorsport today for a check over.