2016 Outback warning lights

MikeK

Hi, first post here, looking for some thoughts on what might be up with my Outback.

It's a 2016 Diesel Manual. A few weeks back when I took it out, the stability control warning light was on when I started up. When I started it up again on my return, the ABS and brake warning lights were on too. The engine warning light came on when I next went to go somewhere. Booked into the garage and their diagnostic tools couldn't find anything wrong - so they said to bring it in the next week and they'd get an external diagnostic person in. Lo and behold, when Monday came around, the lights were all off. I spoke to the mechanic and he advised to just keep running it and let them know if it happened again.

Following Friday the lights came on again, in the same sequence as before. It went to the garage yesterday and the diagnostic person looked at it. They cleared the codes and the people couldn't find anything wrong. The invoice says the codes were 'Air Temp in Engine Control Module' and 'ABS Engine Feedback' (no actual code numbers). They said, again, keep an eye on it and let them know if it happens again. Today I started it up and the Stability Control light was on, then when I came home the ABS and Brake lights too. I fully expect the engine light next time I use it.

After lots of googling and forum trawling, it seems that this sort of thing is very common, but there seem to be as many causes and solutions as problems. My initial thought was that it was an ABS/wheel speed sensor, but I really don't know. It does seem to me that it's a sensor problem, rather than anything else, but then I don't have anything to base that on. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I did think about buying an OBD cable and getting FreeSSM so I can clear the codes if they come up, but I'm not totally clear if it will work on my generation of car.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Mike

It had a service and MOT the week of its first appearance - drove it around 100miles on the Saturday before the warning appeared on the Sunday though. It's had some other stuff, but about 6 months back.

Not anywhere near London - I'm north of the border - bu thanks for the offer. Would FreeSSM work with a 2016 car?

Quick update on this in case it helps anyone else.

I bought a cheap ODB2 Bluetooth adapter on Amazon and used Torque Lite to connect. It only came up with one error code P0096, which according to the internet is: "P0096 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit Range/Performance".

Torque Lite cleared the code, and it started up fine with no errors, which is something, but I guess I have to take it to the garage and get them to look at the sensor. Will update if I get any more info.

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update on this in case it helps anyone else.

Spent a few months just clearing the codes using the OBD adapter and Torque Lite. They'd come on every day, I'd clear them and the car would run fine. They'd come back on the next day. They would come on in the same order everytime. I knew I'd have to get it sorted eventually, but it seemed to be running okay so I wasn't too worried. Then, the engine warning light came on while driving, which hadn't happened before, so decided it was time to take it to the dealer to check.

Turns out that 2 of the glow plugs had gone. They managed to get them replaced under warranty, but we still had to pay for labour. My partner went o pick it up, and as she got in the car to leave, the warning lights came back on...

So back into the garage - turns out the MAP sensor had gone too. They tried to get that replaced under warranty too - but that took time as the parts centre was all Covided up. Turns out we didn't get that under warranty, but it is now fixed, and apparently running well.

I would be less annoyed with it all if this was the first thing that went wrong with it, but it's not - a year ago we had to get the hose from the intercooler replaced as it had split (on a car that was about 3 years old and had done about 30k). Then a month or two later I was driving back from the supermarket, put my foot on the clutch and the clutch didn't come back up - I had to drive back a few miles home in first gear. Luckily it was late at night. That wasn't a cheap repair.

So, if anyone is considering buying a diesel outback, my advice would be: for the love of god, don't.