SF turbo rear subframe

wilbs

HI all, my 1999 Forester SF turbo has just failed it's  MOT on a rusty rear subframe and I am really struggling to get hold of a new replacement or a decent second hand one. Does anyone know if any other rear subframes will fit my SF without modifications, or with small mods as want to keep it as original as poss. Or where I can get hold of a new subframe? They seem to be available in the states but only for a 2.5l of the same year? Don't want to buy one and ship it over if it won't fit.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Wilbs

A lot of the classic GC8 Impreza parts fit the SF.

I have a 1999 SF turbo S that has an Impreza STI engine and gearbox swap, it’s also running on Impreza GC8 coil overs with slightly modified top hats for the rear, fronts were direct bolt on. Running with a full Impreza exhaust system too.

I would start with the turbo 2000 Impreza GC8, parts are pretty cheap and easily found being broken on either eBay or gumtree.

Failing that contact https://www.nipponautospares.com

They have an eBay store off the same name, iv bought hundreds of parts from them over the years, all used parts so pretty cheap but they’ve always been good quality used parts.

classic impreza or  even later forester SG can be used .

ICP likely be able supply them
Was a company in poland selling new on eBay so keep eye out for that .
price new is around low 300 to 400 pounds

I was going link one on eBay, maybe worth asking questions on details of corosion level, if prepared blast/wire wheel it and treat/paint it price would be decent saving over new .

Can be quite a struggle swap them out without good tools like air impact, air hammer and air blade saw and bushing cups and forcing screws, need new lateral link bolts/bushes at the least .
We done a few and most put up bit of a fight, most ones we done need brake lines and trailing links done make it a worthwhile effort .

• Like 1

Iv had quite a few problems with ICP in the past, iv been waiting nearly 3 month for a set of camber bolts for the front lower shocks on my GC8.

I also had a rear sway bar from them for a blob eye twist, I’m not talking 1000hp drag car either,  pretty stock 180hp daily driver. They did send a replacement though.

never had much issue with ICP, however we only use them for mainly OEM parts, most of their aftermarket range is average garbage at best such as optimal and other chinese monkey metal trading under german brand image .
I always telephone order so generally know stock/availability times before committing .

• Like 1

thanx Pete B and Mr B, I have trawled the web , looked at ICP etc for the last week and I have bought the only one I could find, which is the one on eBay which you have shown. Collected it yesterday, lots of surface rust and looked **** but spent the day with angry grinder, power file etc etc and it's all solid. Which is great.

So hopefully by the end of the week my SF will be MOT'd and back on the road.

Appreciate your replies and help and I will let you know how it all goes. 

Catch you soon

• Like 1

Looking good 👍

Where did you get your bushings from ? I need a set of front wishbone bushes for fossy, may as well do the whole car over Xmas. 
I did find a supplier of Duraflex red bushes, £380 for everything but it’s overseas shipping, I’d rather not get stung but import tax if I can help it.

I swear by Whiteline, apart from my GC8 Iv used them on every Scoob Iv owned, iv got sway bars and anti roll bars ready to fit to the fossy when my bushes turn up, I went with the Powerflex “yellow” 👍

On 12/1/2020 at 6:52 PM, PeteB said:

Looking good 👍

Where did you get your bushings from ? I need a set of front wishbone bushes for fossy, may as well do the whole car over Xmas. 
I did find a supplier of Duraflex red bushes, £380 for everything but it’s overseas shipping, I’d rather not get stung but import tax if I can help it.

I used Larkspeed up Leeds way for most of it and ordered the whiteline stuff direct from their site as there was a discount code I could use at the time. Cannot rate Larkspeed service enough as the powerflex and superpro sites were not clear on the part numbers for my model, some bushes that arrived were for a BRZ. Larkspeed owned the issue spent the time on the phone with the suppliers and sourced the correct parts.