Lower control arm bushes need replacing

Fletchaman

Hi it depends how you want to approach it.

Option1 replace the bushes only

• Parts cost - New bushes only
  • This means you have the labour to remove the arms
  • Labour to remove and replace bushes (needs a press and possible torch to burn out the bush)
  • Labour to replace the control arms
  • Tracking setup

Cost is less in parts but more in labour

Option2 replace the control arms which include new bushes

• Parts cost - Control arms which include new bushes
  • Labour to remove arms
  • Labour to refit new arms
  • Tracking setup

Cost is more in parts but less in labour.

I would look at Option2 as more garages can do this as it requires less tools so gives you variable labour rates to choose from then take it to a decent place to get your geometry setup

I know this is a UK site but gives you an idea of cost for an arm

https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=14424&cat=96&sub=3663&sec=0&var=0&dc=&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

Option3 source control arms with bushes and do it yourself on your driveway then take it to get a decent GEO setup

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 10:04 AM, Fletchaman said:

HI All

I have just had my 2013 Forester serviced and been informed my lower Control arm bushes need replacing anyone got an idea of price to have these replaced?

Thanks all

What bushes, front or rear on your front control arm?

very rare for both go at the same time. 

If its both front & rear bushes then u may as well get new arms, as you get 2 new arms(obviously LoL), 4 new bushes & 2 new ball joints. 

They are easy to change over on a driveway. 

If it's just one bush then I'd replace just the bush. 

bushs can be pushed out with a suitably sized socket & a large vice. 👍🏻 

Be careful with aftermarket arms as quality drop over original.

Generally it the rear bush on these as crap design with bushing laid flat and don't last , earlier was far better design and fluid filled rear bush very effective .

We can replace this on car with partial dismantling, if arms scruffy and all bushes and ball joint iffy you far wiser replacing, we generally only use OEM and they about 3 times the cost but 6 times the quality . Anything aftermarket and suspension related do some homework as even well known aftermarket brands supply some right junk parts these days

15 hours ago, Jay762 said:

Hi it depends how you want to approach it.

Option1 replace the bushes only

• Parts cost - New bushes only
  • This means you have the labour to remove the arms
  • Labour to remove and replace bushes (needs a press and possible torch to burn out the bush)
  • Labour to replace the control arms
  • Tracking setup

Cost is less in parts but more in labour

Option2 replace the control arms which include new bushes

• Parts cost - Control arms which include new bushes
  • Labour to remove arms
  • Labour to refit new arms
  • Tracking setup

Cost is more in parts but less in labour.

I would look at Option2 as more garages can do this as it requires less tools so gives you variable labour rates to choose from then take it to a decent place to get your geometry setup

I know this is a UK site but gives you an idea of cost for an arm

https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=14424&cat=96&sub=3663&sec=0&var=0&dc=&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

Option3 source control arms with bushes and do it yourself on your driveway then take it to get a decent GEO setup

Hi Mate 

Thanks for the info. I am in the process of getting car shipped to UK so prob get it done there as they said it they are showing wear not that they had split. Are they part of MOT in UK? Cant remember been down here that long

8 hours ago, SF5Fozzi said:

What bushes, front or rear on your front control arm?

very rare for both go at the same time. 

If its both front & rear bushes then u may as well get new arms, as you get 2 new arms(obviously LoL), 4 new bushes & 2 new ball joints. 

They are easy to change over on a driveway. 

If it's just one bush then I'd replace just the bush. 

bushs can be pushed out with a suitably sized socket & a large vice. 👍🏻 

Hi Mate 

They are the front lower control arm bushes showing wear and advised to replace

Thanks

6 hours ago, Mr B said:

Be careful with aftermarket arms as quality drop over original.

Generally it the rear bush on these as crap design with bushing laid flat and don't last , earlier was far better design and fluid filled rear bush very effective .

We can replace this on car with partial dismantling, if arms scruffy and all bushes and ball joint iffy you far wiser replacing, we generally only use OEM and they about 3 times the cost but 6 times the quality . Anything aftermarket and suspension related do some homework as even well known aftermarket brands supply some right junk parts these days

According to the service docs its the front lower control arm bushes that are showing wear and advised to change car has done 60,000 miles and dealer serviced since new so should be in decent nick

what price would it be?

It is a UK MOT checked item but they have be bad to extent allowing excess movement and/or visually dry rotted to death be a fail .
fronts normally hold out better than rear by a long shot .
Price on front bushes replaced on car without fully removing lower arm be 160 roughly for both sides .
I would check first state of rear bush and ball joint and also how bad the front bush truly is as if serviceable condition it best left and changed at later date .
your heat and road condition in Oz might be tough on bushes though and I also notice the 2009 onwards suspension don't hold out as well as the older stuff, pretty much half the lifespan in lot of cases !

4 hours ago, Mr B said:

It is a UK MOT checked item but they have be bad to extent allowing excess movement and/or visually dry rotted to death be a fail .
fronts normally hold out better than rear by a long shot .
Price on front bushes replaced on car without fully removing lower arm be 160 roughly for both sides .
I would check first state of rear bush and ball joint and also how bad the front bush truly is as if serviceable condition it best left and changed at later date .
your heat and road condition in Oz might be tough on bushes though and I also notice the 2009 onwards suspension don't hold out as well as the older stuff, pretty much half the lifespan in lot of cases !

Wow that’s a lot cheaper than here I will wait till it’s in UK and get it rechecked it’s got to have and IVA and MOT so that will bring it back up if truly bad

thanks buddy