Quirky Question

Duffsaw

Hi All, 

I had reason to have the forester on a lift today, and the guy lifted the wheels clear of contact with the ramps altogether. When spinning the back wheel on one side, it moved the front wheel, and vice versa. Is this normal, a good or bad sign?same happened both sides. Just never seen it before

4 wheel drive dude 👍 The wheels are connected together so spinning the rears will spin the fronts and vice versa. You can also tell what sort of diff you have by doing this, spin the rear wheel and if the opposite rear spins the same direction it’s an lsd, if it spins opposite it’s an open diff.

you got reflect on AWD design and lsd design and likelihood of anything being changed from standard oem design before drawing final conclusions what should be happening especially if using it to diagnose a possible fault .

with viscous centre dif some drive can be seen transferred to other axle via hand rotation, with a system using electrical duty cycled hydraulic clutch packs (like on the auto gearbox AWD) it can be open , Got be careful with axle diffs too as torsen/helical lsd diff with wheels of ground doesn't work like a plated lsd would .

Great Gents,

thanks for that. Its stock, no changes made prior to me, and I haven't made any changes bar maintenance.

I understood it SHOULD have been the viscous centre diff, and glad it seems to be as should. As being a farmer, it gets tested somewhat... 😉

Its reaching about the 240000km mark. Anything I should put on the To Do list Gentlemen?