Crunchy gears despite clean oil

Bouncer

On a 98 2.0 sport, it's got 89000, not hellish much on receipts on the servicing side, but fully original in every way....the pedal's quite high (clutch has probably saw better days and due for a new one soon). But 1st (especially 1st) it's usually a ****** to get in, 4th and 5th aren't to bad but 1st to 4th are bad, I checked the oil earlier and its fine (still a golden colour) and just below full.

My guess is it might be a syncro problem and that's a box out job

I'd have said synchros on the worn side myself, unusual for a low miler like that, could be a previous owner ragging through the gears, I have a nearly new sport clutch in the garage, also have the better half of a sport box at the side of the house, I started taking it apart for weighing in the alloy then the weather changed so it's just sat there, if there's anything you want that I might have just ask

• Like 2

I'd have said synchros on the worn side myself, unusual for a low miler like that, could be a previous owner ragging through the gears, I have a nearly new sport clutch in the garage, also have the better half of a sport box at the side of the house, I started taking it apart for weighing in the alloy then the weather changed so it's just sat there, if there's anything you want that I might have just ask

Yea I kinda thought that, if that's what it is, it's done well to take 12 years of abuse as the 2nd owner's had It the longest...thanks Miggs, will do, do you mean you might sell the clutch

I would try add some FORTE DIFF AND GEAR TREATMENT I've been told it works great and helped others with the same problem But sounds like syncro to me. I have started to get the same problem with 4th.

Yea will get some and try it, it can only help, like you've all did though, probably the synchros

does sound like synchro issue and as you have done an oil change with no difference the oil treatments may not sort it out

No Jay I didn't change it, I just checked it, but it's obviously been done by the guy I got it from, but as said, I'll get the Forte stuff and see how it is.

Mind you, this is the car I got cheap, very cheap, with the holes under the back arches, and holed subframe/crossmember thingy, if I do try and fix it up, I'll be keeping and using it

Oh sorry, I thought you meant it was for the turbo

What I'll do then, this is the car that's got the bad holes inside the back arches up near the struts (both sides) and needs a crossmember (and whatever else). I'm going to put it through an mot and see what he says and take it from that, if it needs more than I know of that's going cost alot more money, I think that'll be it, unless it's bulbs, wipers ect then I think I'll need to call it a day.

I'll be in touch though, thanks

this is what i have in the garage, not sure what i did with the bearing to be honest, if i can find it i'll include it but can't promise owt

just to be clear, that pic is not the exact one i have it's just one that looks just like the one i have with the red plate, have seen various other colours but the one in my garage is the red one, price wise they range from £90 to nearly 2k, if we say £20 plus P&P?

mPo6WCstz_Bpt2GwIpmKz9Q.jpg

• Like 1