Help needed - Can anyone tell me about this part and can the bracket be replaced?

Hello,

Replaced my driveshafts yesterday (07 Impreza R Sport) and noticed this part which appears to have an electrical connection on the top, but most importantly, the bracket to the front arm has snapped. What is this whole part and can the broken bracket be replaced... Does this even do much as I noticed it's only on the one side of the car. 

Thanks

IMG_20210402_121116.jpg

IMG_20210402_121513.jpg

Hello, that looks like the level sensor for the headlights and it looks as though that bracket is part of the bottom arm so you would either have to fit a new arm or see if the bracket will weld back on 👍

3 minutes ago, stuartie said:

Hello, that looks like the level sensor for the headlights and it looks as though that bracket is part of the bottom arm so you would either have to fit a new arm or see if the bracket will weld back on 👍

Thanks dude! Makes sense, I thought my headlight beams looked a little low recently. Will look for replacement now I know what it is 😁

Mine on the Foz was worse because the ball joints within that headlight level sensor had seized solid, so as well as the bracket had to replace the link, for the link i bought and altered slightly an adjustable suspension level link from a Toyota Landcruiser to fit (found on eBay i think), for the bracket i used  a corner bracket from a diy shop designed to repair chipboard so a matter of 50p or so, but any piece of fairly sturdy angled steel would be fine with the right holes drilled through.

In theory the genuine bracket should be cheap even at Subaru dealers, but wouldn't surprise me if you have to buy everything involved and you do not want to know the cost of the link, i'm not mean honest guv just fed up to the back teeth with  having me knicks pulled down by everyone from Doris DePfeffel Johnson downwards.

Note people, make sure you grease those little ball joints before they seize solid.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, Greenmamba said:

OBs have 2 of those, one front and one back. Not sure same applies on Imprezas but worth checking?

On 4/3/2021 at 1:06 PM, Judd said:

Mine on the Foz was worse because the ball joints within that headlight level sensor had seized solid, so as well as the bracket had to replace the link, for the link i bought and altered slightly an adjustable suspension level link from a Toyota Landcruiser to fit (found on ebay i think), for the bracket i used  a corner bracket from a diy shop designed to repair chipboard so a matter of 50p or so, but any piece of fairly sturdy angled steel would be fine with the right holes drilled through.

In theory the genuine bracket should be cheap even at Subaru dealers, but wouldn't surprise me if you have to buy everything involved and you do not want to know the cost of the link, i'm not mean honest guv just fed up to the back teeth with  having me knicks pulled down by everyone from Doris DePfeffel Johnson downwards.

Note people, make sure you grease those little ball joints before they seize solid.

Thanks for the info guys and sorry for late reply as I'm not getting notifications.

I've been in touch with Subaru, quoted £313 for the whole unit including sensor - even eBay is going on £150 - but I only need the metal bracket which isn't available seperately. Did look at fabricating the part but I'm not going to get those holes in the right place. Meant to be putting the car through MOT next week but gonna cancel that for now as my headlight beams are way too low and point to the road.

Has anyone got just the metal bracket available?

Thanks

1031254237_Part_84021SA000_-_Sensor_assembly-head_lamp_leveler_front1.jpg.a0ab3a896d208de7bfb5084922eec8d0.jpg

If you put these search words into eBay you'll find several suitable complete units for sale, course i can't guarantee the joints arn't seizing, some Chinese knock off brand new kits for around £40.

''headlight level sensor link''

a point that may be relevant - the front and rear links are different sizes on my 08 hatch may be the same on your 07.

A piece of metal bent at 90 degrees with a couple of hole drilled in it will probably get you through your MOT I dont think the tolerance on these items is too fine

On 5/6/2021 at 6:27 AM, Judd said:

If you put these search words into Ebay you'll find several suitable complete units for sale, course i can't guarantee the joints arn't seizing, some Chinese knock off brand new kits for around £40.

''headlight level sensor link''

On 5/11/2021 at 7:47 AM, Jay762 said:

a point that may be relevant - the front and rear links are different sizes on my 08 hatch may be the same on your 07.

A piece of metal bent at 90 degrees with a couple of hole drilled in it will probably get you through your MOT I dont think the tolerance on these items is too fine

Thanks guys for the tips/advice.

Even pattern part replacement is stupid money - £175 from ICP when I only need the bracket - so got a local garage to weld the bracket up. Can't be any worse than any part I might be able to fabricate myself 😝

Fit this morning headlight beam already looking better 👍

• Like 1