Impreza standard fuel consumption

SlapNutz

Hi guys

I recently come to notice that the car I'm using (my GFS car) is consuming too much fuel. Is £20 of fuel for 80 miles too much for this type of vehicle?

It's a standard 2.0 w reg impreza wagon. I do have an intermittent check engine light which I have not got round to checking yet but will do. Well I did try with by Bluetooth OBD but come to realise that this vehicle needs a specific type. It connects but will not read ECU.

Apart from freessm I think it's called is there any other cheapo Aio tool that can be used maybe an Amazon job?

I remember her mentioning something about her mechanics saying it's probably a loose wire on a sensor or something. Something after checking the vehicle over various things i have come to realise are cowboy mechanics.

If it is the O2 sensor...how many does this vehicle have and what are their locations pls?

Also if there is more than one will they both be same type or different type and connectors?

Kind regards

You're doing mid twenties mpg, depending on the type of driving you do that's about right, you might get early to mid thirties if you drove open roads at steady constant speeds, but for general running about mid twenties is par, this is the downside of full time 4WD.

Those with turbocharged Scoobies have seen figures of 15/17mphg when driven hard or in stop start traffic.

• Thanks 1

Aha okay, thank you for the response..was starting to get worried something might be wrong. I do mostly motorway miles 80 daily and thought my 2.7 twin turbo V6 did near 40+mpg what's going on with this 2 litre.

I guess will have to keep it below 70 and see how that fairs.

Hope you are all doing well and once again thank you.

Warm regards

slapz

2.7 twin turbo, Diesel PSA engine which also found its way into Jaguars if my memory serves?, linked to a standard RWD vehicle of much more modern design with a very slippery shape, Diesels are much more efficient than petrol engines, hence why almost all vans and trucks are Diesel powered.

Somehow i doubt that V6 will be running as well as your Scooby when its 21 years old.

It might be worth servicing your brakes properly, ie all pads out exercise the pistons in their bores, remove the stainless anti rattle clips that sit at the top and bottom of the caliper, wire brish the calipers and those clips before refitting, re-assemble using the correct brake grease on the sliding pins.  Japanese cars all suffer with salt corrosion issues of the brakes, it might be yours are dragging a little more than they need or you could have a seizing piston or slider causing excessive brake drag.

Good brake servicing is something we should all do at least every other year, preferably annually in the spring, few garages service brakes correctly, peering at them and squirting brake cleaner in their general direction is not servicing the brakes.

Look in the tech section there's a how 2 for self checking ECU codes , for classic cars. As Most obd code readers don't work on the subaru odb1 system .

If you're just cruising you should get mid 20' to low 30's mpg but when squeezing the loud pedal lot they will drink heavy 

22 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Look in the tech section there's a how 2 for self checking ECU codes , for classic cars. As Most obd code readers don't work on the subaru odb1 system .

If you're just cruising you should get mid 20' to low 30's mpg but when squeezing the loud pedal lot they will drink heavy 

Yes it seems that way...last few days i been steady 60 and 70 max very rarely and fuel consumption was not bad at all...I guess I just been heavy footed without reqlising as it's such a joy to do drive.

Yes I saw the post about the green connectors under the steering wheel and will give that a shot...finally how many O2 sensors does this model have and where are they located ?

Kind regards

• Like 1

Sorry ,Think I might have skim read w reg as wrx , sounds like a good excuse so I'm sticking with that one 🤐😂

Unfortunately I dont know much about classic non turbo wagons  .v6 gf8 I think would be the turbo equivalent of year wagon .

Hopefully one of the na owners can help , @nictriumph maybe? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from the Lake District in my 2004 WRX.

Managed 370 miles before the reserve light came on. So probably could have got 400 out of the tank. Mainly motorway miles at approx 70-73mph most of the way in 5th. Only ever accelerated hard 3 times on slip roads.

How many miles have people managed out of the reserve amount?