'99 Outback has schrill whistle inside the car

99Roo

My "99 outback started to have shrill whistle coming from inside the car when pushing on the brake pedal and now it does it a lot just when driving down the road and some times gets louder when cornering. Has any one heard of this and maybe know a cause or where to look for the source??

No it is not that kind of sound  and it does it when the car is stopped sometimes. It sounds like maybe an air of vacuum leak and the more I think of it  , it might be a vacuum leak in the brake booster. I checked the vacuum hose connection and it is solid. what makes me think that is one day after I shut the car off , it whistled and kind of ran down to nothing. I'll have to have the dealer check that booster. it is getting unnerving when it runs all the while I'm driving!

thanks for the response

I sure will. I'm taking it to the dealer on the 21st. I hope it will do it for them. I drove it today and no sound!!  Cheers, Jim

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

something is better then nothing it might be a vacuum leak in the brake booster. I checked the vacuum hose connection and it is solid. what makes me think that is one day after I shut the car off.

Edited by Steveuk260.Esq
Removed kayak link.

The problem was a vacuum leak in the brake booster. The dealer said the part is no longer available and could not fix it. I bought a rebuilt booster  on line and had a mechanic put it in . Problems fixed!!.............Merry Christmas, Jim