Winter wheels/rims search

I know it might appear a bit too early, but the nights are drawing in and I want to be prepped for this.

My last four cars have all been Skodas (AWD), and every one of them had been shod with winter tyres.  The last two cars in particular  had a set of 'winter' alloys which I bought as Skoda were selling them off at a discount.  Having two sets of wheel (summer/winter) allowed me to switch the wheels and tyres over, at home, whenever it suited me.

I've searched online in all the usual places (eBay, Gumtree, etc.) but there's nothing decent regarding Subaru OE wheels that I could find. They don't have to be new, but need to be very decent in condition.  They also have to be Subaru made and for the Gen5 Outback, as I can't be arsed with insurance issues.

I've signed up to a few spares companies online but have been less than impressed, as they have bombarded me with junk mail and still haven't come up with anything.

When I bought the car in April, I did order and receive a new alloy spare 18” full size wheel but that cost £329.  I'm reluctant to splash the cash again for that price, especially for a set of 4 (plus TPMS kit).

As a last resort I might do what I did with my first Skoda which was to use the same alloys and get a local garage to switch tyres back and forth - not so convenient for me, there's a cost involved, time and cash, and I wonder about the longer term impact on tyres of being switched/stretched back and forth so often.

I've thought about all-seasons, which would solve the problem.  However, where I live at 1200 feet above sea level in the rural north Pennines, we get some 'inclement' weather, icy and snow.  It's not unheard of for the snow plough not to be able to get up the steep lane and a snow-blower has had to be called for to sort the job out in the past. I do a far bit of rural driving over the fell/moor roads and I'm not fully convinced all seasons are right for me,  just yet.

What are other owners doing?  Anyone using steelies?

you could try some of the aftermarkt wheel suppliers like wheelbase etc

looks like cheapest package is about £900, which for wheels and tyres isnt too bad (winter tyres) and wheels arnt awfull lol

• Like 1