2018 Outback - Wind Noise

Icarus

Hi all, apologies if this is a known issue and has been raised a number of times already. I did try & search this issue, but didn't really see any similar thread.

I'm actually posting for a relative who has a 2018 (68) plate Outback. He is having what appears to be wind noise coming from the front of the car at higher speeds. I've searched this online, and note the many comments and videos that are circulating. However, these mainly seem to be in the States, and on older models. They seem to relate to window seals/gussets. I can't really see anything on this newer model, but am thinking that, due to the cars age, it may just be that his seals/gussets are now getting to a point where they are failing. 

Just wondered if anyone else on here has this issue and/or if there is a thread on this already?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Not heard of this myself although having wind deflectors on the windows is quite a common aftermarket addition on imprezas - Couldn't get on with them personally as I found they restricted my vision going around right corners / islands

On 1/2/2022 at 6:44 PM, Icarus said:

Hi all, apologies if this is a known issue and has been raised a number of times already. I did try & search this issue, but didn't really see any similar thread.

I'm actually posting for a relative who has a 2018 (68) plate Outback. He is having what appears to be wind noise coming from the front of the car at higher speeds. I've searched this online, and note the many comments and videos that are circulating. However, these mainly seem to be in the States, and on older models. They seem to relate to window seals/gussets. I can't really see anything on this newer model, but am thinking that, due to the cars age, it may just be that his seals/gussets are now getting to a point where they are failing. 

Just wondered if anyone else on here has this issue and/or if there is a thread on this already?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi Mark.  I can't say I've noticed any issues with my 2020 OB, Gen5.  Has this issue recently started with the car, or since purchased? Any issues with the powered side mirrors not fully setting in position? Perhaps a door or window seal is out of alignment?  When you say higher speeds, I'm guessing you mean at motorway/dual carriageway driving.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I get wind noise. It seems to come from the driver's side door seal, along the top edge. I vaguely remember seeing something about inserting a small cross-section piece of foam rubber in the doorseal. When a get a suitable attack of enthusiasm, I am going to have a go at doing it.

• 1 year later...

Greetings,

My Subaru Outback 2019 model, 16,000 miles on the clock bought new, suddenly developed dire wind noise after repair work to electrical cables entering the bulkhead, the damage due to mouse . Work done by Subaru dealer. They and two other garages have been unable to fix it. Seemingly coming from front right of cabin in front of driver. Starts at 40mph and gives one a headache at 70mph. And I mean a headache. These guys all agree that the noise really is there and should not be. Has anyone some supernatural ability to diagnose the problem and then maybe I can get it fixed?

On 10/21/2023 at 6:27 PM, Windnoise said:

Greetings,

My Subaru Outback 2019 model, 16,000 miles on the clock bought new, suddenly developed dire wind noise after repair work to electrical cables entering the bulkhead, the damage due to mouse . Work done by Subaru dealer. They and two other garages have been unable to fix it. Seemingly coming from front right of cabin in front of driver. Starts at 40mph and gives one a headache at 70mph. And I mean a headache. These guys all agree that the noise really is there and should not be. Has anyone some supernatural ability to diagnose the problem and then maybe I can get it fixed?

Sounds like the cable repair either dislodged something in the bulkhead allow the air to rush in at speed, or the cable damage wasn't the only part that the mice chewed (e.g. maybe some rubber/plastic gasket around where the cables enter the bulkhead?) .

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 6:44 PM, Icarus said:

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Did you/your relative actually find out what the issue is? I'm having a very similar issue on my 2019 Outback (same model as yours)...

• 2 weeks later...

Wind noise- I think the noise is coming into the bulkhead rather than into the car cabin where I hear it. My problem now is that this bulkhead seems to be highly contained and I am not sure how many apertures there are which might be available to me to stuff with some material. Any ideas?

Mark

• 3 months later...