Hole in piston at 140+ mph

Adam

On another thread Tlag said he and I had seen a piston fail at high speed... Well I don't want to highjack that thread but I thought you may like to know more, so this what happened.

While running out of Germany to catch a ferry a friend of ours decided to do a max speed run on a section of unlimited Autobahn. The car is a 1996 Subaru Legacy RS Twin-Turbo. I was behind in my GT-B and gave chace and at about 145 mph (SatNav speed, the car was off the clock at about 175 mph!!) there was suddenly a huge amount of smoke from the exhaust of the RS. Luckily we were less than a mile for a service station so we were able to pull over and stop in a safe area.

Also, both cars were running dashcams so it was all recored...

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Maybe I should add that the car was later recovered to the UK.  The engine was stripped and a hole about the size of a penny was found in one of the pistons.  A new engine was built by the owner, and the car still survives to this day, although it is off the road at the moment for a single-turbo conversion... 

• Like 2

Hi all really feel for ur friend Adam. As Adam knows and a few others my legacy GL is off the road after 11 days of owning her with a mysterious engine problems. Gambit, Miggs, Tlag, Adam and others have been amazing trying to help me out. After seeing this vid seeing the guys jumping in to help Adams friend, I have great hopes me the wife and ur kids will be out cruising with u all soon.

I know iv joined a great club with great friends.

• Like 3

All is well now. The video was shot in October 2011 while heading home from a 2,500+ mile tour of Europe, and the car has since gone in to bigger and better things.

For the record, Tlag is the one you hear saying "You can't drive f***ing normally!" when we first open it for a look. And Bip (also a member here) is the one in the yellow top.

Hi all really feel for ur friend Adam. As Adam knows and a few others my legacy GL is off the road after 11 days of owning her with a mysterious engine problems. Gambit, Miggs, Tlag, Adam and others have been amazing trying to help me out. After seeing this vid seeing the guys jumping in to help Adams friend, I have great hopes me the wife and ur kids will be out cruising with u all soon.

I know iv joined a great club with great friends.

Thanks for the kind words :)

I've said this before. It's the one thing I love that the Subaru seem's to bring on it's own, or more then other car's I've owned is a great community. And to meet new people and make great friends is what I think a club should be about :D 

• Like 1

All is well now. The video was shot in October 2011 while heading home from a 2,500+ mile tour of Europe, and the car has since gone in to bigger and better things.

For the record, Tlag is the one you hear saying "You can't drive f***ing normally!" when we first open it for a look. And Bip (also a member here) is the one in the yellow top.

Good good thats what i like to hear Adam. Plus i know now what u look like when u pop round sunday.

Thanks for the kind words :)

I've said this before. It's the one thing I love that the Subaru seem's to bring on it's own, or more then other car's I've owned is a great community. And to meet new people and make great friends is what I think a club should be about :D 

Here here well said.

• Like 1

The car had a rare RFRB grille fitted and at the time I was looking to buy one. With the risk the car would never get back to the UK I decided to steal it! We fitted my standard one to his car and I kept the grille for several months but once his new engine was fitted I had to give it back :(

I later found a damaged one on eBay and managed to restore it, so we're both happy now.

(RFRB was Subaru's in-house styling department but they never sold it in the UK. Finding their stuff is neither easy or cheap!)

I wasn't!

Paid £20 for one that had been very badly painted white. Spent the same again on paints and filler etc, had Bip kindly fabricate the fittings as mine were missing and after a few days work and waiting for paint to dry, all was well.