No sat nav voice guidance - Subaru Legacy R

Janner

Hi, I'm a new and very happy Subaru Legacy 3ltr R owner - so apologies if my question has been covered elsewhere (I have looked). The only very minor niggle is the fact that I can't activate the voice guidance for the built in sat nav (which I believe is a Kenwood). I've worked out most of the sat nav's features - including the voice guidance volume - but as there is no voice irrespective of what level is selected, I assume that it's muted. I've seen an online diagram that states that the mute/unmute function can be found at: MENU>NAVIGATION SET UP>USER SETTINGS. The mute/unmute is the third item down in this menu - but when I try in my car this function is missing from the menu. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, it's a weird one Gambit. Everything works but the voice guidance and I can't see how/where you can turn it on. It'll either be something stupidly simple like a button to press/setting on the audio system or stupidly expensive (experience tells me it'll probably the latter). And thanks for having a look for me.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I realise it's been some time since this thread started but I've finally worked out what the problem was and thought it might be helpful if anyone has the same problem. After trying everything I could think of around the audio system and through the Nav screen settings, I finally got round to checking the Nav Discs themselves. Two came with the car - a 2004 for mainland Europe (obviously the original but not a lot of use in dear old blighty) and a 2012 disc for the UK, which was in the drive when I bought the car. Both looked very similar until, after some close scrutiny, I realised the 2012 UK disc was not entirely legit. When I loaded the 2004 disc and entered a continental address, hey presto, a calming female voice told me to turn left in 50 metres! Comforting to learn that there's nothing wrong with the car and it's just a dodgy bootleg disc. Now all I've got to do is find a recent Nav disc for the UK that doesn't cost a fortune. Thanks to you guys for your help and making a newbie feel welcome. Cheers!

• Like 1

Just to tie up the loose ends - a quick Google search found me a supplier that provided a 2012 Subaru satnav disc for £19.99 with excellent reviews from customers. Ordered on Saturday, arrived first thing Monday morning and it seems to be absolutely perfect. Not sure what your policy is on links so won't post it here unless you say it's OK to do so. Thanks again - it's a huge relief to know there's a Subaru forum with friendly and helpful members - I owned a Land Rover a few years back and some of those forums were vicious :-)

Feel free to share mate :)

And £19.99 I thinks a bargain I really did think you would be looking at the 100's of £'s for one :)

Thank you the forum is friendly but that's more down to the members I think really that have come here all been great like yourself. But it's not like that on a lot of the Subaru forums some of them amaze me how they have been so popular :D I think it's a bit like bondage some people just like being whipped ;) 

• Like 1

:D I think you're right - I used to see people get ripped to shreds on some LR forums for asking what I thought were perfectly reasonable questions! And yes, I was gearing up for a hefty dent in my wallet so was very surprised to see the disc at under 20 quid. I was half expecting to find the same problems again with lack of voice, but as I say, it seems perfect so far. I've not tested it on a long run yet, but I live in a fairly rural, off the beaten track part of the world and it's coped with tiny country lanes that my smartphone satnav doesn't even know exist. The website is called 'SatNavMap' and the link to the Subaru discs is here: http://www.satnavmap.com/subaru-32-c.asp

Hope it proves helpful to other members and thanks again.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi, very late but I have only just joined.  I had the same problem of no voice on the sat nav when I bought a cheapish set of map discs.  The discs were replaced as faulty and the replacements are OK but I am not so sure that they are fully 'up to date' as I had hoped.  Still they took us round France this year so not everything is lost.

• Like 1