new tyres legacy

robmolyneux

I need to replace 2 tyres on my 2009 Outback and wondered what options were available so did a web search. I came across a number of comments that tryes on a legacy must ALL be replaced at the same time as ther must not be a difference in circumference of more than 6 mm ( 1/4 inch ) between any wheel or the diff will be seriously damaged. My Suburu agent has never mentioned this and happily replaced one tyre that had suffered sidewall damage. Is this true? Help please as this could be painful

I spoke to a mechanic about this but it was with the Impreza as long as the tyre's are the same size on each axle i.e rear and front will have no effect at all on the car. His words not mine and I've changed just one tyre. But just looked this up to make sure.

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/diffautoAWD_AWD.html So really became of no help at all then :D 

I have a 05 Freelander td4 as a family wagon, Iam on a landrover forum ɑnd they mostly say the same as the article above, even a 3mm difference if you think of miles covered has a big effect on rotations per wheel. Lιke I say I just regularly rotate front to back every few thousand miles, just to be safe, then I don't buy 2 in between ɑnd just get 4 after twice as long miles wise

I had all 4 changed in January then had an inside wall go on one of them and had it changed over with a new one I had heard this before so asked, and what he said is keep the same size tyre say 225/35 on the rear axle be fine. I have the same on the front's too,so I just bought another tyre and had it fitted :wacko:  But he was saying it wouldn't matter what tyre you have on the front could have 225/40 on the rear with 225/35 on the front. So I wouldn't have thought tyre wear would cause that much trouble.

Fair enough fella tbh though from what I have been told on my Freelander and the way viscous coupling works, ( Iam probably wrong lol) I think ill eer on the side of caution with my scooby too, lol! First time owner of a scooby, until I see an official word from subaru lol I'll keep doing ιt

I'm not sure myself :D I'm just going from what I was told when I asked ;)  And I've done it with both mine now so will see what happens. Robmolyneux did say his Subaru agent hasn't said anything either. But anyway sorry Rob no clear answer here either ;) 

Over the years, I've heard both these points of view time and again. I still don't know which is right or wrong.

I have only ever made sure that all four tyres are the same size and I have matching ones on a particular axle.

One thing I have noticed though. All the space saver spares seem to be 16 inch, yet some of the cars came from the factory with 17's. How does that work? " yes sir, you can get home following a puncture, but may well wreck your diff or gearbox". :). Just a thought.

• Like 1

Over the years, I've heard both these points of view time and again. I still don't know which is right or wrong.

I have only ever made sure that all four tyres are the same size and I have matching ones on a particular axle.

One thing I have noticed though. All the space saver spares seem to be 16 inch, yet some of the cars came from the factory with 17's. How does that work? " yes sir, you can get home following a puncture, but may well wreck your diff or gearbox". :). Just a thought.

Funny you should say that I had to use my space saver to do about 2 miles It's smaller then the other's but had no choice :(

My own fault I sold my spare set to make some space.

went through my owners manual this evening, highlights are rotate diagonally front to rear every 6,200 miles.

All 4 tyres to be the same brand model etc, for safe vehicle operation replace all 4 at the same time ( I believe this assumes rotation and equal wear) using tyres of non specified size detracts from controllabilitiy, ride comfort, braking performance, speedo accuracy and mile count acccuracy.

Then there is a warning box with the following in

'all four tyres must be the same in terms of manufacturer, brand (tread pattern) construction, degree of wear, speed symbol, load index and size. Mixing tyres of different types sizes or degrees of wear can result in damage to vehicles powertrain. Use of different types or sizes of tyres can also dangerously reduce controllability and braking preformance and can lead to an accident.'

So Subaru state it is something that can happen - a possibility perhaps but the thing is you will never be in a perfect scenario of equal grip on all four tyres at the same time for the life of the tyres so this is something you cannot reasonably counter other than the rotation of tyres but saying that dependant on your driving style you could have the rears down to the canvas in 3k and loads still left on the fronts.

I will always buy worn tyres in pairs and replace damaged individuals as they arise - ill let you know if something breaks but I wont be out there with a tread guage every two minutes not when the turbo clutch and brakes are more likely to fail before the powertrain :D  

• Like 1

I'd say it's impossible to get a full even tread the way they put that is I should have a full F1 mechanic's pit crew ;) for the amount of tread they are talking a curb scuff could make it lighter then the rest making it bend more and use more tyre then should be needed . I'd say it was to cover there own back from the tyre issue and it's been exaggerated to become this maddness of she said he said. I'm not trying to be funny with anyone. And maybe I'm wrong but the tread on tyres and new car's that use the road shouldn't be needing to worry about the tread, other then being to low past the legal limit  :D

Well yeah your never going to get ιt perfect, but I think ill just carry on with my rotate front to rear side to side every 2k, ιt's no bother I just use my mates ramp, just lιke to be safe I have seen threads on the landrover site where freelanders have had all sorts of drivetrain issues ɑnd 9 times out of 10 they have had mismatched tyres bud

Well yeah your never going to get ιt perfect, but I think ill just carry on with my rotate front to rear side to side every 2k, ιt's no bother I just use my mates ramp, just lιke to be safe I have seen threads on the landrover site where freelanders have had all sorts of drivetrain issues ɑnd 9 times out of 10 they have had mismatched tyres bud

mismatched in what way - pure wear or different brands on the same left to right axis?

Some of them were putting off-road tyres on the back thinking ιt would help in winter! Some were mismatched brands, there ιs a torque test you can do to see how tight the vcu ιs, I can dig it out if you lιke, don't know how relevant ιt ιs to scoobys but ιt can't be far off. Not in any way saying ιt's the only cause of vcu failure, but IMHO ιt certainly don't help, that's why when I got my Freelander I made sure I got ιt off someone that knew what I was talking about ɑnd had 4 matched tyres on :)

I think it applies to some models and not to others in the Scooby range so it will be useful to know - according to that article posted earlier in the thread Imprezas are not as affected but Fozzies probably are possibly legacies