new tyres legacy

robmolyneux

I have 3 the same make and 1 that's another make now and newer :D

And I think Tlag might have answered that one Jay he said he does pretty much the same just changes one wheel like what I do with his Legacy 

I've not seen enough evidence for doing one or the other IMO But with Tlag and that guy I spoke too and Rob the OP saying his Subaru Agent didn't say anything I feel safe with that for what I'm doing. But think from now on I'm just going to say do what you feel is best for the person asking :D Play it safe ;)  

That's the thing without a definitive answer I think I'd rather be cautious lol

Remember when the fuel pump packed up on the Freelander!! She called AA then me, I turned up just as the AA man had the front of ιt up on a frame ɑnd was going to tow ιt lιke that!!!!!! I went feckin mental, the guy couldn't grasp the idea that you cant strap the front wheels ɑnd free wheel the rears lol!! He said ιts in neutral ha ha ha

• 1 month later...

Being a newby and thinking of buying a Legacy, I came to this forum for advice.  I asked a question in the newby section but so far have no responses other than welcomes. Thanks for those. 

So I thought I would scan the forum for further informations and this is the first thread I've gone through 'cos it looked relevant but I'm very surprised at the content.

It seems to me no one is thinking about what the differentials do, which is allow the wheels to rotate at different RPMs as a corner is negotiated.  Surely doing this is not going to damage the diffs or power train and as most cars do a lot of cornering, I would not expect this to do any damage.  Yes, if you do a lot of motorway motoring with wheels of significant diameter difference, the diffs will be doing a bit more work but you ain't only going in a straight line even on a motorway.

So, now, I am considering buying a 2009 2.5i Legacy from a Suzuki dealer and I have noted the front tyres are on the legal limit whilst the rears have 5/6mm tread.  Do I assume the diffs are taterred :huh:  and avoid the car?

Jerry

• Like 1

As I'm sure you have read through, for me as I put before I would say it's fine. And you have made a good valid point with the cornering. You will find with Subaru's there is grey area's where nobody on any forum can come up with a true reason or answer to a question. I've seen this and Oil arguments many times before with the same outcome :D

I've not done what Jonny b does with my wheels ever and have only ever changed tyres when needed for the legal limit, and since the engine rebuild has been fine for over 70kmiles. But I always say look after your car as you see fit so wouldn't say he's doing anything wrong and at the end of the day it's his bill's he pays not me. :)

But other than the limit is all I worry about :D

Thanks again Gambit.

I can see how some folks will be pedantic on such a point due to the caution in the manual and others, likely myself, would be more relaxed.  I've always treated my cars with care, even when I thrashed my mini's rallying.  That's how I've enjoyed Alfa motoring for 10 years.  Treated with respect, a good car does not break............... usually  ;)

No problem. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a bit of a spirited drive who doesn't, and love giving it a thrash in the snow too :D 

I just try make sure I keep on top of the oil change let it warm up and cool down. And it's  been fine, so wont change what I do now :D   

Yeh as above really mate! I just lιke to eer on the side of caution really, I mean yes the diffs will take up cornering but don't forget that the cornering side of things will eventually even ιt out, obviously other wise you would never have awd cars, my problem with cars that have viscous coupling setup ιs the prolonged difference of say 5 mill over say 10000 miles! Imagine the different amount of rotations between axles, in my book that can't be good! I have seen a Freelander get put up on a 4 poster ramp ɑnd as soon as the wheels were off the floor they all span lιke mad, transmission windup??

• Like 1