Need help working out what is going on with this "WRX STI"

I came across this "WRX STI" for sale locally and I was immediately interested. I am by no means a Subaru expert and haven't owned one before but always did want one.

It is registered with the DVLA as a "Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX-STI Type UK (Prodrive)" and the VIN plate seems to match that as its GDBBKKH and its on a 51 plate

But there are some things i gathered online that an STI should have which this one does not appear to have - its a 5 speed not a 6 speed, no blue STI interior, no STI gauge cluster, no Brembo brakes, no STI intercooler. Where the intercooler water spray button should be there is a hole so i'm not sure if it is present. Also the wheel fitment seems a little odd (too narrow wheelbase?) it also has the hawkeye rear lights and bumper.

I'd appreciate the help of someone more knowledgable to help me figure out what I'm looking at here? Is it a geniuine STI Shell but with WRX powertrain? or a base model with a fancy bodykit? Also, does the rust look far gone? Maybe someone here even knows this car or its previous owner.

I'll be test driving the car soon and i'd like to know more closely what i'm actually looking at here before I make any decision, cheers

impa6.jpg

impra5.jpg

impra7.jpg

impra8.jpg

impra9.jpg

impra10.jpg

impreza1.png

impreza2.png

imprezazaaa.png

rusty.jpg

Would you say its a WRX at least? Or some AWD RS that someone has done some vin engineering to?

I was thinking it could be a STI Shell with WRX running gear but it wouldnt explain the wrong interior or wheel fitment

On 8/1/2024 at 5:53 PM, licenseduser2 said:

I came across this "WRX STI" for sale locally and I was immediately interested. I am by no means a Subaru expert and haven't owned one before but always did want one.

It is registered with the DVLA as a "Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX-STI Type UK (Prodrive)" and the VIN plate seems to match that as its GDBBKKH and its on a 51 plate

But there are some things i gathered online that an STI should have which this one does not appear to have - its a 5 speed not a 6 speed, no blue STI interior, no STI gauge cluster, no brembo brakes, no STI intercooler. Where the intercooler water spray button should be there is a hole so i'm not sure if it is present. Also the wheel fitment seems a little odd (too narrow wheelbase?) it also has the hawkeye rear lights and bumper.

I'd appreciate the help of someone more knowledgable to help me figure out what I'm looking at here? Is it a geniuine STI shell but with WRX powertrain? or a base model with a fancy bodykit? Also, does the rust look far gone? Maybe someone here even knows this car or its previous owner.

I'll be test driving the car soon and i'd like to know more closely what i'm actually looking at here before I make any decision, cheers

impa6.jpg

impra5.jpg

impra7.jpg

impra8.jpg

impra9.jpg

impra10.jpg

impreza1.png

impreza2.png

imprezazaaa.png

rusty.jpg

If in Doubt BOOT IT OUT!!

Looks like wrx that has had some badges and a vin plate thrown at it.

The VIN is a UK vin number, applied model code does indeed come back as a wrx sti prodrive uk, however i suspect its a ringer.

The parts i notice that look wrong,

running gear (rear diff is a R160 but should be R180) (2001 wont have DCCD even if it was an sti)

gear stick should be lift reverse type, this one isnt so its a 5 speed box

engine, no red inlet, missing alternator cover + various other covers and such

interior, seats, (carpet was grey for the sti model so is correct)

dash (dials should be blue, no intercooler spray buttons)

fog lights

brakes

Wheels

rear spoiler is STI replica (light should be at bottom for that year and angle is wrong)

WRX headlights

rear lights are from a later model

one side of the front wing has a reflector, other carbon insert, should be carbon both sides

The longer i look more i find, underside looks rather ropey, and for an sti its missing a digit in the price (Although not in the best condition).

Short version, walk away.

Just for ref, a genuine sti for sale

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202407302305530?sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Subaru&min-engine-power=250&model=Impreza&postcode=DE5 9TU&year-from=2001&year-to=2002&fromsra

• Like 1

• 1 month later...