Legacy ride quality

Jeronimo

Took SWMBO to see and ride in the proposed Legacy 2.5i SE (2009 - 60k miler) this afternoon and got a negative review  :(

She pointed out wind noise (which is possibly slightly more than our Alfa and 3 Series) but more significantly the giggly (a soft g ...... I'm not laughing !!) ride quality.  This I had not really picked up on, on the previous test and it was certainly the case.

Any experience or comment on this?

I fitted my 156 Alfa with Koni FSD's which really did transform the ride quality.  Am I going to have to do this car too?

Jerry

I've not really been in one that new so I really couldn't say. Most subarus have had the problem with wind noise to do with the wing mirrors but again I thought that was with the older models.But I'm all for upgrades  :) 

does that legacy model you tested have a metal surround all the way around the doors as the impreza models were changed to incorporate that with the newer models with noise reduction being the reason.

ultimately the SWMBO quality gate is one that needs to be passed...

so there are some pharmacuticals - allegedly - that may help in order to pass the gate :D

I had a chap next door to me who, for 15 years, took an angle grinder on a regular basis to two alfa suds - I never saw either of these two cars turn a wheel so the one thing I concluded was Alfa knuts can get anything through a quality gate if they want to :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

mmmmmmm..........

Trouble is she was not impressed by the radio sound quality either as my Alfa has a Bose sound system :mellow:

Maybe it just needs settings adjusting. 

Anyway, she has said - "it's OK.  Get the car.  I was just being fussy"  :)   (There's no thumbs-up smilie??)

• Like 1

Subarus have frames-less windows so wind noise can be a problem. Subaru made wind deflectors that were standard on cars sold in Japan so I have them on my GT-B. Maybe you could try and find a set to fit one you have the car.

I was thinking about the wind deflectors too was coming on to post about them :)

I've also seen people do a homemade wind deflector around the wing mirror, I'm sure it was because they hadn't sound proofed behind the plastic triangle part. From memory people was getting rubber tubing cutting it down one side and attaching it on the wing mirror. But I might be thinking of the forester, but if it is the same thing might do the trick. And I thought the newer ones have the frames all around the windows on these. 

I've always upgraded my speakers in cars anyway. apart from an st170 I had for some reason even with an amp it sounded great. And they hadn't been upgraded just stock :)

Genuine ones are quite long and run from the wing mirror to the rear-door windows.  See photo...

wind.JPG

These are from a Gen 2 car, so no use to you.  I would imagine Gen 4 versions are still available from Subaru (at huge cost) but should also be available from other places such as Import Car Parts. 

Thanks for comments Guys.

TBH I did not think the noise level to be that intrusive, so we will see as I have now done the deal getting some hard looks from SWMBO  ;)

Collecting on 30th for 1st Jan tax disc.  No 2 son will have my Alfa and I hope I don't regret it :huh:  one way or another.  :D

• Like 1

Thanks for comments Guys.

TBH I did not think the noise level to be that intrusive, so we will see as I have now done the deal getting some hard looks from SWMBO  ;)

Collecting on 30th for 1st Jan tax disc.  No 2 son will have my Alfa and I hope I don't regret it :huh:  one way or another.  :D

Wayhay - echo Gambits statement, put your mark on it and all will be well :)

• Like 1