Winter Tyres - yes or no?

Fang44

Chaps

Just wondering if the benefits of getting winter tyres out weight the initial layout of cash.

Are they that good?

Do we really need them in this country - opinions and info appreciated

thanks

Fang44

post-132-0-20622500-1388488285_thumb.jpg

You can set yourself up for - compared to your exiting setup - a lot less, it will save your alloys and as they are a lot thinner give you more grip. East Yorks does get a fair bit of bad weather so its probably down to your own opinion if you feel they are warranted in this country

What you have at the moment is great anyway its just adding to it. I was considering some steel winter wheels with associated tyres, I was then going to paint them bright green or orange just for kicks :)

Not sure if this helps but the XV I have uses Yokohama All year tyres, that is they are summer and winter, so you have the dry/wet road tyre but in winter it also has heavy tread for winter. Not suggesting you use the same as they're £170 a boot. but there might be something similar for non-off road cars such as yours.

As for whether you need winter tyres in this country, I'd say no, they wear very quickly compared to ordinary tyres, provide you with much less grip in on tarmac especially wet tarmac and you'll only really need them for a few days a year in reality. If you lived in Sweden then I'd say yes (in fact its mandatory) but if you from the midlands or similar probably not, plus you need somewhere to store them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You should feel the difference in grip now they work best below 10 deg c. Where as summer rubber doesnt. I'd check with your insurance company to see if you're still insured while using winter tyres. Stupidly some of them see it as a mod with it not being oem equment and therefore invalidating your cover as they havent been declared