Old Banger

Diz

Walk of shame......that takes me back. I can actually remember my last one.

I was used like a piece of meat:)))))))

Used like a piece of meat... you poor thing  :rolleyes:  I remember the last one too, walking barefoot up the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, midsummer at around 7am, bright sunlight illuminating our debauchery while we carried our high-heeled shoes and dipped our heads so those !Removed! joggers wouldn't get too smug seeing that 'I am going to be sick' look on our faces. I am now too old and too skint keeping up all the vehicles to be doing that. In fact I now live in a tent in my mate's garden and the cats are none too impressed (joking!).

As noted, I wish I'd checked back here before conducting my own search. BF and his mates have been researching and pressuring me as they all love the car. Our mate's daughter has said she is going to have words with me. (FFS, no-one could kick me harder than I've kicked myself.) Even when I was on the phone to the breaker my BF, who is a sweetheart but a total fidget, was pointing at stuff on the screen and yapping at me - I had to push him off the sofa to shut him up.

I hope at the very least Gambit's links are useful to others. I really hope I don't need to use them again myself, as this is a major PITA!

Don't worry we've all done things like this.i once pulled up at the shop Facing my mate in his car, Reving my van flat out as if to drive into him.i put it in reverse and wrote off a cavalier which had parked right behind me second before.good luck with your repair, she looks nice and together for an older bird.

That's really odd you say that, it's pretty much what the guy doing the repairs said. You didn't also think I did a reverse wheel spin in a filling station by any chance? ;-)

Peeps, the one thing I haven't been able to source is a light on the rear spoiler. I have hunted high and low. All I can find is tail light stickers. I might just be a bit dim in my search terms.

In desperation I contacted the local Scoobie dealer where I got the 10-year service done. They have a great reputation. Say they can get the light for £150+vat. It seems extortionate but I am at the point of surrender.

If anyone has any ideas it would be really appreciated, and I'll owe you a few beers or liquor of your choice :wub:  If not then no hard feelings, you folks have helped me a shedload already, not to mention the larfs, and I thank you for that.

Yours, desperate in West Lothian...

Knightrider? Hah, you must be as old as me! I do like that idea though :-)

Trying to keep the car gen up, but defo worth looking into. Depressing to know it's not easy to get hold of, but at least the dealer can get it for around half the price it would cost to get a new spoiler plus repainting.

I only hope this thread with all it's farty bits helps someone else. I'll post a summary once all is done and dusted. Plus pics. Oh, I can't wait for my shame to be undone.

All I can say is - in a strange filling station drive forward, run out of fuel even if it is a nuisance - please don't do what I did. And if you do, Auntie Diz is here as a shoulder to cry on.

• Like 1

Ha ha your funny Diz, I was going to add a bit about wheel spinning helps just not in reverse but I won't:) . On my way to work I was behind the same model and colour as yours,I was going to run him down and nic his rear end ( not in a sexual way you understand,plus I'm on emergency lube levels) but I've goto stick to the speed limits as my van is trackered and I had over 60 offences last month.you should see the tail backs I get when in the 25 mph speed zone, its painful.

Ps) were all old,ive got the whole box set of he-man ( he was defo !Removed! but what a body! )

• Like 1

Yep had all them guy with the multi face thing that turned. The man with the spring legs who's facing the bad guy with thats jaw moved. I never had the tank things though had both the Cats and Skeletors castle. I was well into the original Transformers too. I did have all them on DvD not sure what happened to them :(

Story so far:

Breaker in Fleetwood, who I called a week past Friday, said parts to be despatched last Monday (should have been delivered middle of last week). By Wednesday say held off as was expecting a car in same colour as mine. Despatched Friday(?). No show today. Seems there's some messing about with new delivery situation too, which is sounding like bullshit to me and getting up my nose, but I'm holding off on my blowing my top for now. According to BF, who was left in charge but is too much nicer than me, they seem genuine and did get in touch today. Anyone who has used them before - it's our first attempt - please take note. If no parts by tomorrow this won't end well....

Mañana mañana... my bruised ego and patience wear thin... deilvery mañana... if not I hope none of you reading this are the guy at the other end of the phone when I reclaim the situation back from my BF.

:( 

Not good to hear but some deep breaths. To be fair I'm very impatient but not as bad as my Missus she once said to me when I said I was making something nice.  "When are you going to make the oak furniture you promised?" "I've been working on it for 6 months, you impatient ******". "Oh really? I haven't seen you do a thing!" "Well, the acorn isn't growing very fast". :(

But joking aside I would have rang up by now I know i would I'm mad if I have to pay for an item and wait over a week for it to arrive. :( 

Well, the parts turned up yesterday at our industrial unit around 4.30pm. The leccy isn't on as sparks have been in rewiring the main board for isolator switch and 3-phase; it's dark and we haven't unwrapped them yet, but BF tells me they tower like some kind of bizarre street sculpture on the pallet. So the guys in Fleetwood were good to their word (damn my hormones), and probably trying to get us the best deal knowing what they knew but what we didn't.

Spoiler light order from dealership, like hens' teeth to get. Should arrive tomorrow and I'll pick it up pick up on Friday (on the bike, I am not suffering the humiliation of taking my poor bashed Scoob there - last time they parked it out front after service as it is a cutie, but not at the moment...). Dealership is very legit but even offered to do a bit better if I paid cash, really can't fault them.

Repairs now a week on Monday. Agonizing. In the meantime I only hope the driver of tasty white Scooby who flashes me on our opposite ways on our way to work doesn't look in his rear view mirror... mortified. Pride comes before a fall, and all that!

I don't want to bore folks with this, but have seen too many queries where the OP doesn't follow it through and I was really keen to see how it all panned out. May go quiet on this for a week or so, *really* looking forward to the after pics!

• Like 1

Good news that they have turned up finally and I think you was within your rights to started getting annoyed, as I said before I get mad if I have to wait a full week for parts, more so if I have overpaid on the P&P  :angry:

I'd have allowed a little time for the boot with the size of it but still a week should have been sorted, more so if they deal with that sort of thing every day. But main thing is you have them now and look forward to seeing them all on and sorted :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: car went in on Monday and been cadging a lift to work since as I planned to go on bike - then for the first time this season it snowed good up here! 

All parts supplied seem to be what was needed, including the bumper upper beam which we sandblasted and gave a wee spray on, so car may be ready tomorrow or Monday.

Fixer dude says all is well. I really want my baby back! For the old souls, all I can say is Where is My Baby? Where is my Baby? xx

• Like 1

Hooray! Picking up the car at midday. A few things went in our favour, getting the right colour boot lid being one of them. So £500 (plus the parts) to fix - which is half of what I feared it would be.

Weather hasn't been too bad here other than the occasional flurry of snow, which melts by next day. It's hard to believe what's happening down south, looking at the news reports I'm really dismayed at the havoc and misery it is causing for folks. Hope things get back to normal before too much longer.

As if the flooding Worcestershire isnt enough by us we had the bridge in Bewdley closed - not due to the rising water but some chap who decided he wanted to throw himself off it :huh:

• Like 1

The car is back, parked nose-in first this time my rear end is once again proudly stickin' oot :-)  It looks even better than before, as there were a few bits where the lacquer had come off and boot lid was starting to rust a bit under the spoiler. The upper bumper plate also rusted to where it had a small hole in it, the replacement one is in much better condition. If anyone in central Scotland needs any bodywork done I'm happy to pass on the workshop details, the guy did a great job. My boss, who lives across the road, stuck his head out and shouted 'Not so embarrassed now?!'. Oh, you betcha!

In a strange twist of fate my neighbour was just about to take a 40" flat screen TV to the dump (eh?) as she'd got a new one. She asked if I wanted it. As my old box came out of the ark it was a no brainer. So today has been an excellent day - smart new back end and smart new telly - happy ending :-D

Thanks for your support throughout this saga guys, you helped me through a few points of despair xx

• Like 1

As requested...

Before (backed in where my shame could not be seen)

post-1363-0-42304800-1392574539_thumb.jp

After - stickin' oot!

post-1363-0-43291000-1392574812_thumb.pn

In time will replace the spoiler, as it's not perfect - guy has offered to respray it for free if I get the wrong colour. If that's the case there will be a spoiler light for sale ;-)

• Like 2