M.O.T 2012/13

Link is the 2012 PDF

MoT test updated 2013

The MoT test is changing to make it comply with European Union
regulations.

The introduction of new technology has prompted the changes
to the test, which was previously overhauled twenty years ago.

Most of
the updates involve the car's electrical systems. Xenon and LED headlamps will
have their levelling brightness and cleaning systems checked, while the speedometer,
airbags and electronic stability control systems will also be assessed to ensure
they operate correctly.

The new test will check more of the car's warning
lights, including the electronic power steering indicator, electronic parking
brake indicator and the tyre pressure monitoring system.

Prices for the
MoT test will be unchanged and the extra checks shouldn't noticeably increase
the time required to complete the test.

The MoT test will, however,
remain an annual requirement for cars aged three years and over – bucking the
trend set by some European countries that require cars to be tested once every
two years.

The main changes from 2012

Electronic parking brake

Electronic parking brake controls are now included and must be present and not inappropriately repaired or modified - repair obviously likely to adversely affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle or modification that has seriously weakened the component.

(The 'inappropriately repaired or modified' check is to be applied to a wide range of systems and components throughout the vehicle.)

The car will fail if an Electronic Parking Brake warning lamp is illuminated to indicate a malfunction.

Electronic Stability Control

Checks of anti-lock brakes will be extended to include Electronic Stability Control if fitted. The tester will check for the presence and correct operation of the ESC malfunction warning light together with looking for obviously missing, excessively damaged or inappropriately repaired or modified components and electrical wiring, as well as an ESC switch missing, insecure or faulty.

Warning lights

As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

Headlight main beam warning light
Electronic power steering warning light
Brake fluid level warning light
Tyre pressure monitoring system warning light
Airbag warning light
Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light

Steering & suspension

The new test includes a check on the presence and correct function of the steering lock where fitted as standard.

Missing, or split/damaged dust covers on steering and suspension ball-joints will result in failure if they will allow dirt to enter the joint.

Power steering fluid level must be above the minimum level indicated on the reservoir.

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

Electrical wiring and Battery

An insecure Battery will be a reason for failure as will a Battery that is leaking electrolyte.

Visible wiring that is insecure, inadequately supported or likely to cause a short will also result in a failure as will wires bared by damaged insulation.

Trailer/caravan electrical socket

There will be a basic security/damage check of 7-pin sockets,

13-pin sockets will be subject to a full electrical connectivity check and incorrectly connected or inoperative circuits will result in failure.

Tyres

Tyre pressure monitoring systems fitted to vehicles first registered after 1 January 2012 must be working correctly and not indicating a malfunction.

Supplementary restraints

The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.

A seatbelt pre-tensioner fitted as original equipment but missing or that has obviously deployed will be a reason for failure.

Seatbelt load limiters that are missing where fitted as standard or folding webbing type limiters that have obviously deployed are also reasons for failure.

The vehicle will also fail if an SRS malfunction light is missing, not working or indicating a fault.

Speedometer

The car will fail if a speedometer is not fitted, is incomplete, inoperative, has a dial glass broken/missing or cannot be illuminated.

Seats

It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions. On electric seats the motors must move the seat fore and aft.

Doors

A rear door that cannot be opened from the outside using the relevant control is a new reason for failure.

Doors must be easy to open and close – hinges, catches and pillars will be inspected.

Tow bars

Inappropriate repair or modification to the tow bar assembly will be a reason for failure if judged likely to affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle/trailer.

Exhaust

A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure.

Fuel system

Damaged or chafed fuel pipes will result in failure.

so in theory fitting an after market steering wheel which does not have an air bag will mean the car fails its MOT if the original has one and any car with a decat pipe fitted will be a fail also.

I will enjoy checking the electronic speed limiter of 156mph I believe it is and speedo all operate correctly

jeez Id better sort the towbar on my van - i disconnected the indicator buzzer with a view to fitting a dash light - just haven't got around to it yet - that will now be a fail

I know I thought about Rollamite when I read that. !Removed! EU, I know they was trying to bring in if you had any after market parts on your car I.e Bumpers, Lights, Grills, if it was not OEM it would also fail. :(

I'm lucky I guess guy I use passes mine even with a decat pipe. It was to big anyway to get a reading from it, he even tried bunging the hole up with hand paper roll they use with no joy. But it's like he said as long as its not a danger he's happy to pass it, because I could just fit one and take it back off again every M.O.T

iv just had mibe MOTd, i have a full decat so iv been told and it flew thru about from break pads  :rolleyes:  and lowering lights but that was on the last rules, so dont know what will happen whe i go again in a year, thing is it was fitted by prodrive, how would i go about putting a normal catted pipe on, HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT REALLY

• 2 months later...

They can already fail for being to loud that is down to the MOT tester on the day if he feels it's to loud at the min. I would say mine is loud enough to fail. But I know him so he turns a blind eye as long as it's not dangerous :)