Burning smell after hard driving

Pommy

Hey,

As per title really, can smell something burning after a while of hard acceleration, have checked the coolant and the levels seem good suggesting there isn't a leak, oil level is staying constant and the temp gauge is where it should be and working perfectly (gets hotter with time, and if only left car to go shopping won't be at them bottom when I re-start car.)

Any likely sources? Was thinking it could be exhaust burning rear bumper? Recently put a twin exit on and it is closer to the bumper than before.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

If it was a coolant issue I would expect a smell more like hot metal rather than a burning smell.

It is quite pungent? If so may be clutch. That may be slipping under hard acceleration.

If it was the exhaust I reckon the bumper would have warped out of shape or caught fire.

Have you got heat wrap? That can smell and steam a bit if it get wet then hot.

I detailed the engine bay and that smelt of detergent when it got warm.

Have you got wind? :lol:

• Like 1

burnt sand smell - brakes or clutch, oil smell - possibly a leak or turbo on way out, hot rubber you may have an engine over temp issue or brake caliper seized (plus burnt sand)

smell of burnt leather - its Gambit in chaps after some vigorous rubbing - good news for the rest of us - he's now stalking you :D ;)

• Like 1

burnt sand smell - brakes or clutch, oil smell - possibly a leak or turbo on way out, hot rubber you may have an engine over temp issue or brake caliper seized (plus burnt sand)

smell of burnt leather - its Gambit in chaps after some vigorous rubbing - good news for the rest of us - he's now stalking you :D ;)

It's Thursday it's spandex day

Not all that likely to be the clutch so I'm going with Matt on this one, likely leaking rocker cover gaskets! the oil drops straight onto the headers and burns off and smells awful! doesn't smell anything like when an engine burns oil internally either (blue smokers!).

My last Impreza had this and so does my current one.  Have a look under the car and look above the headers, ten to one the lower sections of the rocker covers will be damp or even wet with oil, this is usually the problem!

My clutch also judders at times, seems to be a Subaru thing, my last one also did it and if you google 'Impreza clutch judder' you'll be overwhelmed ;)

Seems to be the rocker cover gasket thankfully. Been to Richard Henry and quoted £60 for the replacement. Seems reasonable to me. Would do it myself but just don't have the time at the moment.

Definitely the drivers side, but I also see oil on the driveway on the passenger side so could be both... will have a proper look tomorrow again may have to get them both done, doesn't seem like a hard job but I already have a backlog of parts to put on it and no time!!! 5 days at uni and then working weekends to buy nice things for my car!!!

Also got quoted £100 for a full geometry which I thought was decent given Richard Henry's knowledge. Anyone else think this is a good price? Or can I get just as good for less. I know a 4 wheel laser alignment is £50 from some places but not sure if they will be as good.

kwik fit have kitted their places out with decent four wheel laser alignment gear - I was pointed in their direction by a former scooby owner mechanic they came in at £80

Only problem I had with Savoys was they thought it would be a good idea to take my car for a test drive after and give it some beans and also read the codes of the ECU. But with it being cheaper and they had just fitted my 4 new tyres at the time cheaper too I had to put up with it :( 

Hi mate let us know howw you get on at richard henry, they are 5 mins away from my mums so if it's a good revue i'll look at getting stuff done there instead of driving to sheff.

Theres a place in huddersfield that has a hunter alignment system (cant remember the name) :-( do setup and what not for around a ton

Hey Stanton, I have used them before on the advice of this site and confirm that they are very good. Know there stuff extremely well, very friendly, and good prices. They have a facebook page which is relatively active and they reply to questions quickly. https://www.facebook.com/groups/346040042142118/?fref=ts

Just phoned them and have cancelled the alignment but getting gaskets on both sides done, £100 for both which seems pretty good to me. And got the alignment the week after for £72 from Simon Green is Horsforth after many good reviews on pistonheads and other sites.

Will report back when done