First weekend in Scooby

Gaulson

Well this weekend was my first weekend driving a Subaru and as I have only been driving around in small hatchbacks I must say it's a big change! Obviously the biggest change is the way the power is delivered... kind of like "coming... coming... coming... HERE" and it's certainly got it's charm.

So basically seeing as I am new to the car, some tips would be welcome, such as how to set off in a hurry. At the moment it takes me a bit to get to 20mph as I don't want to do something wrong.

So far I know:

- Warm the car up before driving and warm it down before switching off

- Run on Ultimate unleaded which I have so far put 1 full tank in

Also is there anything that is frowned upon?

Many thanks in advance!

Warming up and down are the most important in day to day driving, keep the turbo healthy. Obviously regular servicing keeps the engine healthy, twice a year I do mine. Takes some time getting used to turbo'd cars, coming from lightweight NA cars myself it is a big difference, the revs came much quicker in the NA cars for me. But getting off the line quickly is the same technique, rev it higher before releasing clutch and more power and acceleration, depends how much stress you want to put through the clutch though. And keeping it in the rev range with boost available takes some time but worth it when you learn it. Just keep driving it and you will naturally learn. Very enjoyable down a back road on boost the whole way.... Nothing frowned on really, just be sensible, no need to speed through towns or near schools, just general common sense. Oh and be sure to bait some Beemers

Thanks for the advice, yeah I have found I am being more sensible in the Subaru, would prefer to be known as the "nice guy who owns the Subaru" rather than the opposite ;) . On my drive home from work today it started to feel a lot more natural to me so give me a couple of weeks and I should be settled in.

Also, as I'm new to all this, what happens in the way of club meets and so on? Would be fun to mingle with fellow Subaru people. :)

Glad you are settling in, took me a while too. Still catches me sometimes. And always better to be the nice guy with th Subaru, get rid of the image of that some people have of them.

As for meets go to http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/forum/41-regional-meets/ and look up your area. I am organizing one for West Yorkshire, never been to one before but like you wanted to meet some people with similar interests really. If nothing is happening in your area try and find some members near you by making a post of interest in the region's forum and see what happens. Takes time and the first meets are always quiet because people want to make sure its good before they go.

If I drive mine spiritually as they should be driven I tend to drive sensibly for the remaining couple of miles before I get home,no boost low revs cruise in 4th or 5th,saves the fuel then instead of it sitting on your drive ' cooling down ' . A turbo timer is useful if my way is not for you.

I haven't attempted to launch it yet so when I get some quiet time on the roads I will give it a go. At least if I stall it no one will be around to mock me ;) .

Okay, I will have a check to see if anything is going on. Might not mix in that well seeing as I do look a bit like a geek.... :)

Well this weekend was my first weekend driving a Subaru and as I have only been driving around in small hatchbacks I must say it's a big change! Obviously the biggest change is the way the power is delivered... kind of like "coming... coming... coming... HERE" and it's certainly got it's charm.

So basically seeing as I am new to the car, some tips would be welcome, such as how to set off in a hurry. At the moment it takes me a bit to get to 20mph as I don't want to do something wrong.

So far I know:

- Warm the car up before driving and warm it down before switching off

- Run on Ultimate unleaded which I have so far put 1 full tank in

Also is there anything that is frowned upon?

Many thanks in advance!

yep, driving with your fog lights on!!

• Like 1

If I drive mine spiritually as they should be driven I tend to drive sensibly for the remaining couple of miles before I get home,no boost low revs cruise in 4th or 5th,saves the fuel then instead of it sitting on your drive ' cooling down ' . A turbo timer is useful if my way is not for you.

interesting thread on www.m-soc.com about turbo timers.. being a waste of time. 

http://midlandscoobies.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=33469&hl=%2Bturbo+%2Btimers

Being liquid cooled turbos, they are a bit of a waste, depends really on how you see it, my car takes a good 5-10mins to get warm and its a pain sitting around looking like your trying to steal your own car, least with a timer you can pop in on a cycle and go back in for a brew.

Back ot. hello and welcome, :-)

All i can say is until your used to the car and when it comes on boost plan your overtakes wisely !

She has had a paddle clutch fitted recently so I know that's in good condition. The guy that owned it before me is my brother in law, he had it for 3 years and drove about 2k miles in total and the guy before him had it for 2 years and probably did less. So I think all this driving will be a shock to it's system :P .

Yeah I was playing around this morning learning when it starts boosting, although didn't get to open her up at all on way to work. Just a casual drive in, still smiling though. I also find I'm waking up earlier in a morning, wanting to go out.

• Like 1