Advice on Detailing car.

Scooby Pete

Right this weekend I want to have a go at waxing the car.

Bear in mind I'm not a pro and will not be doing an 18 stage ph neutrlising 25 bucket method wash :D

My plan is:

Snow foam.

Alloy wheel foam.

Wash

Dry

Meguiars quik detail and claybar.

Wash

Dry

autoglym super resin polish

autoglym gloss protection.

Then wax. I was looking at some of the wax's and they all mention a priming stage before using them.

I was only going to get a sample of Dodo juice as its enough for 4 cars :)

The next question is I am looking at a DA http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/shop/kestrel-das6-dual-action-machine-polisher.html and wondered if this one is any good? its not going to be used every day prob only 3 or 4 times a year.

ta :)

That DA is the type of thing Miggs recommended to me when we were chatting - if you are going to wax I dont know as you need the gloss protection also if you are looking at the DA you could look at some poorboys swirl remover prior to the polish, this would have a different waffle pad to the wax applicator / buffer

Actually I think poor boys do a SSR which sorts the polish layer as well... here you go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111107311549?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As mentioned previous, you shouldn't need the gloss protection in addition to the dodo wax. That DA looks fine to me for the job too....I don't have one yet but it's on the bucket list. I'll probs go for the meguairs one myself or the dodo buff daddy if your looking for something closer to the cost of that one

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

ooh, I do this every other weekend :)

Rinse the car off, then wash with autoglym shampoo using the two bucket method. Then I will dry the car using a microfiber cloth. Then polish with autoglym resin polish and buff off with another microfiber. I'll then wax on and buff off with another microfiber. I use this wax by the way, its amazing stuff :)

edit, sorry this is a better video

I also use either auto finesse iron x or autoglym alloy wheel cleaner on the alloys. And Rainx glass cleaner for the windows - I also add some rainx to the windows too.

Its nice seeing the water beading on the paintwork.

Miggs mentioned that there are so many good products out there it will come down to personal choice as to what you like using - but dont let all of this good advice put you off doing the right thing by your motor there Pete :D

The drying with microfibre cloths is a good tip better than a chamois or a blade and the Dodo wax is good stuff so dont forget the before and after shots Salsa King and a couple of others have set a high benchmark already :lol:

Someone pointed me to this system.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/werkstat-acrylic-kit-cat1.html

Means you don't need a da, however it looks more like a stage further towards the end of the process. Or it's for aftercare of a detailing.

I've some cash aside to get the bonnet blown over due to stone chips and need to get a cple of scrapes sorted as well. I could ask them to give it a mop as well then I can start with the protection.

There was me thinking I can just buy some wax a DA and off we go :lol: this more confusing the more I look into it.

• 4 weeks later...

The menu you have set up looks good Pete. I know a lot of people like the idea of having your own DA but in my work (10 years of doing smart repairs on everything from Fords to Ferraris) I still see lots of examples of owners (and semi-pros) who have burnt through the paint on a swage line.

If you do use a DA please treat each area on a panel with a swage line, as a separate area, working TOWARDS a swage line and NOT over it.

Modern water based paint, as used by most manufacturers for the last 15 years is very good, but about 1/2 the overall thickness of the previous paints.

Take care and enjoy the process.

Peter

• Like 2

I use the dodo juice hard wax. Purple haze think it is. I just wash the car, dry it. Polish it with "poorboys" polish then wax with the dodo juice. Paint work comes out gleaming and is very smooth to the touch. I've posted pics of it in some thread somewhere before on here all by hand too never used a da.

As some said above I enjoy the satisfaction of doing it myself rather than paying somebody to do it