about my maf sensor

bazza

just a question my maf sensor has been clicking for a while i have never really took much notice of it but since adding a front mount intercooler ......

and changing coolant ................about the coolant i added about a litre to much coolant and when driving up motorway steam was coming out of the bonnet i pulled over to see what happend and noticed it came out of the header tank screw top and got air filter wet .........about a litre and half came out.......since this the car idle is not steady it drops low then up to about 950 then down to 200 almost stalls on tick over and also seems to use a lot of fuel

Does sound like the common symptoms of a faulty MAF have you had the engine running and pulled the plug off the maf to see if it stalls ?

Also have to looked at the filter might be clogged up and not letting enough air past

I'd check the ECU for codes too :)

thanx gambit i will see if it stalls tomoz little dark now .....i will bring air filter in and give it a clean tomoz to .......i will check back then let you no how got on .......

are maf sensors cheap if it means anything mine has green sticker

I'd check it 1st and the filter might have damaged that with it getting wet like bogroll when it's wet goes mushy. But one checked everything have a better idea no point spending if you don't need to :D that could be spent on another mod :)

ok i put another maf on reset ecu by unplug Battery for 30 mins reconnected and car was fine for about  20 mins then problem came back revs up down on tick over and when driving about 2000 revs it jerks then shots of with good power ...cant seem to find problem my son is saying it could be air leak somewhere think he mentioned something about boost im not sure but think hes going to spray something on hoses to check for a leak ........any ideas seems ok cold tickover

son is getting me an esl for ecu dont no what the hell that is lol any ideas

ESL is a good thing it's mappable to work with your ECU 

And while we talk about the ECU you should have two black connectors under the steering wheel near the pedals you can read the ECU codes if it has any guide HERE

Could be a split pipe will give the same symptoms or you are as lucky as me with a dodgy MAFS :)  the spray can use anything I use warm water 

my son spoke to me and he says maybe 02 sensor but going to read codes tonight well not me lol my son as there is white not smoke but condensation coming out of exhaust when gets upto tempature not when cold

Funny I started my car today and had the ECU light on turns out it's an 02 sensor but seems to be running ok at the minute. But will get it swapped sooner than later not a massive job just a pain.

my son spoke to me and he says maybe 02 sensor but going to read codes tonight well not me lol my son as there is white not smoke but condensation coming out of exhaust when gets upto tempature not when cold

Baz that is nervous perspiration - your cars thinking im up to temp jeez I'm in for a spanking now :blink:

:D :D :D

problem solved back to life .......cleaned maf and changed some black square sensor thingy all good just the revs dont drop as quick as before it maybe ust me being fussy lol but son is going to check weekend