New model Outback step backwards

Sledgehammer

4 years ago was when I bought my first new diesel Outback Naviplus, I embraced Subaru immediately and can't stop praising them enough!  I'm now 130,000 miles later and looking to buying my third, I was eager to see the new 2014 changes to my ideal car.  At first I was very pleased how it looks, although as a person who actually does off road regularly in my job the loss of the plastic protective trims concern me.  On driving the new automatic was brilliant, but then came the backward steps.  No inbuilt sat nav and a promise of a make do upgrade with a smaller screen, then found the key-less ignition which has been so handy is no longer available on this model - but available on other Subaru models!  Ridiculous!  Further, even Kias and skodas now have LED headlights, so why not a £30k plus smart Subaru.These are all backward steps in my mind, Subaru really have missed a chance of making something special even better! Does anyone else have issue with this?? It may sound like nit picking, but when you spend a large portion of your time in a car, these little things can make all the difference.    

If I'm honest I think a lot of the newer models have been not to my taste as far as looks go but the reviews that I have seen across the range have all been good. And I would say the same as Jay why would you get the latest model ? :D

• 1 month later...

Having just bought an Outback, I find myself agreeing somewhat with Sledgehammer's comments. I had simmilar thoughts while making the leap. I thought that it should come with (at least) Satnav and running day lights! I resigned myself to the thought that if I want extra lights, I can probably add them fairly inexpensively. Also, since a fair amount of people already own satnavs (including myself), then it would not be such a big issue. (Plus this eliminates the need to return to the dealer every-so-often for map updates.)

My main quibble with the car, is actually the Bluetooth. It is quite difficult to pair a phone for both calls and audio streaming. Also it doesn't gain access to the phones contacts, so you have to add people manually to the stereo's memory... Which I won't be doing!

Keyless entry, I don't know about, as I have not owned a car with one...

Overall I am still very happy, but I guess it wouldn't hurt for someone at Subaru to flick through these forums from time to time, so they can get things 100% right next time!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my SX Lineartronic in January and, on the whole, I'm very pleased with it. My first Outback was an R-plate in the 1990s and this is the best of them all so far: handling is great, CVT is fine and I get a steady 47.4 mpg.

I do have complaints to make about Subaru UK though (those already mentioned + limited and dull choice of colours, £1000 extra for full leather seats, no memory for the electric seat, poor screen for the reversing camera) and I thought Texturiser's comment was very pertinent. Subaru UK should read our forums - does anyone know if they do? Has there ever been any feedback from Subaru UK to this club?

have a test drive in the 2015 Forester? :huh:

personality don't care about satnav, LED / runniing lights etc. i own my own satnav what does also Bluetooth / audio streaming (internet radio) / podcasts and plays every map out there.

but i do see the point made by the OP and i agree that companies should be more active on forums to learn from their customers as with no customers no company; do read this Subaru! we are your customers :ph34r: