idle air control valve

Has anyone pulled apart and cleaned the control valve from an ej20 g/k ?

Chasing back my slightly annoying idle i think it may be this.

Done basic maf test, car stalled straight away and cel upon restart, boost solinoid will be cleaned a bit later today, the reason i think its the valve is it only happens from cold and it's not a massive fluctuation in revs and again no cel light.

Gonna order a new gasket today the attempt to clean over weekend

I have removed one before when I switched all the bits over onto my painted inlet.

I polished the outside , sprayed brake cleaner through it and refitted it with a new gasket .it only took 20 mins but the inlet was off the car ;-)

If you're looking for faults I'd have a good look at the black rubber diaphragm (that sometimes falls out when you remove the icv)

As one of my diaphragms had a slight split in it

• Like 1

Cheers sav,

Like you say easier if the inlet's off thats half the battle facing the wrong way round.

You don't happen to know if you need to drain the coolant ? Is it primed all the time or does the chamber only fill when running ?

• 2 months later...

How did you get on with this?

I'm looking at cleaning out my ICV as i keep getting engine light come on identifying that, Idle isn't too bad but could be better.

also when i clean out my K&N i will not bother re-oiling it.

Hi mate, never got round to doing it just not had the time. I've not even had chanve to order the gasket. But the car is running ok. You can get something called seafoam which you can use to clean the valve in situ. Sorry I can't be of any help

• Like 1

just done my ICV, i had no need for a gasket.
just popped the solenoid out & gave it a good spray with carb & throttle cleaner, will see over the following week if it has done the job.

the solenoid was caked in carbon, so it should make a difference.

• Like 1

Cheers mate, yours is in a different place to mine, yours being newer.

Mines located on the back of the inlet to the right as you look at it. It's in for a service friday so I'll ask then