Gauges

snaill88

Take your time and have patience, have you decided where your going to locate the oil pressure sender ? If so what type of thread does it have npt/bsp ? you may need an adapter if your going to attach it directly to the block. Theres not much room either.

Boost gauge will be easy in comparison, I'd have a meter of new vac line to replace any tired old stuff, theres a good chance it will split anyway

With the oil pressure, you have a choice of three options really. The first is the where the current switch is, under the alternator. It's also the easiest to get at.

The second is a blanking plug on top of cylinder number 3. It's a pain to get to but will show the pressure on that cylinder which is the one to suffer first usually if something goes badly wrong.

Thirdly, if you are considering an additional oil cooler, you will need a oil filter sandwich plate which has additional ports for oil pressure and temp of required.

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

for me the best place was under the Alternator for ease but I needed to get a hose as my sensor unit was too big :( 

I have picture somewhere of the boost pipe work, but it is on the forum in reply to jonnyb's question on the same thing if I can find it I will post it for you. 

Again the bay will be cheaper for the adapter. For some reason it chopped my last post off.

I went for the no3 plug it's just inbetween the intercooler and throttlebody. I have a pic aomewhere to

Oil pressure and boost are the two best things to monitor. Both of those will let you know immediately if something is amiss with either of the two most important parts of the car.

After that, most things are just nice to have. Although, oil temp will let you know when the engine is at high enough temperature to give it the beans ;)

I wouldn't lilke to as it would be a pain everyoil change, plus the senders are about two inches long so thats another thing to bear in mind every time you go off road. And thirdly I'm not sure how accurate the reading would be. As tlag says you can get adaptors that sit between the oil filter and engine.

Heres a pic of when I installed mine

20140429_154249_zpshaynodbo.jpg

Oil pressure should be fitted to the original sender under the alternator .

Oil temp imo is best located on the bung over cylinder number 3 as it gets the hottest due to being near the turbo .I didn't fit my oil temp in either the sump plug or sandwich plate (between the oil filter and oil cooler) as I think both of those locations have cooler oil in them (so don't give such a accurate reading)

I'd agree with tlag in saying oil pressure , boost and oil temp are probably the most useful gauges to have .

Oil pressure should be fitted to the original sender under the alternator .

I have heard that said before meant to give you the true pressure as it's meant to be. 

The sandwich plate can only be fitted whilst doing and oil filter change really. once the filters off you just attach it to where the filter goes, really easy but I would always worry about it leaking :( 

get the adapter off scooby worx think it was £15 when i used it, under the alternator is best and add more wires to the existing oil sender so it will still show if your low on oil, make sure thread lock is used as they are a nightmare.