Looking at getting a wrx

Pinson-89

Hi guys, sorry if this always comes up but I'm looking at getting a blob eye impreza wrx, I have upto 4.5k could stretch further but as I get a few decent looked after ones around that price I'm happy to leave it at that. I could do with knowing what to look out for, obviously usual knocks and bangs, check that everything electrical works, gearbox feels tight, turbo boosts with no smoke, no smoke on start up, oil and service history anything else/specific to the impreza I should look out for? Also I'm 24 and my insurance on the wrx is around 1k with Adrian flux I'm more than happy to pay that but anyone else have a better insurance company as I only went on a couple of comparison sites, cheers in advance guys

I will say this in a non biased view :) it is we have a great community with some of the best people for advice and friendliness on any forum I've been on. I would say it's almost like a big family :D 

Seems good looking through the forum, so the impreza doesn't really have any mojo ur flaws I need to look for it's just the usual stuff really? I read somewhere else that there is a "up cat" before the turbo and it breaks up? Is it still the case for a blob eye wrx? How easy is it to get to and remove if it is problematic? Sorry for all the questions it's just I'll be buying one hopefully this month and will put my own touches on it before she's on the road

I've not really heard that as being a problem myself but I guess it does happen. I think most Imprezas have stainless steel when you look so be worth asking if it's not a standard exhaust system if it's been turbo backed if they haven't listed it when selling. The sensors can be a bit temperamental mainly the 02 and knock sensors, Mafs a bit of an issue seems to have been a few the past few months come on with MAF problems. 

But other than that really just good service and make sure the belts have been done if their due or work it into the price if it hasn't already. 

I would check brakes as well for sticky pistons common fault, I might be covering stuff in the guide now I can't remember what's in it :D . But hope that helps some what 

Cheers again, I've been trying to get completely standard, I'm handy with a spanner so breaks aren't an issue, the sensors on the other hand could be, is there a Subaru specific code reader that would be needed or any decent generic one could do the job? I used to own a civic afew years ago a generic reader would be ok on a lot of stuff but couldn't tell which abs sensor was a problem. I'm hoping to be keeping this motor for a long time and will be doing most servicing and upgrades/repairs myself so I may be asking for more help as there's always an easier way :D

wotcha and welcome - a generic reader or smart phone software with OBD 2 adapter - Bluetooth or cable will be fine fault codes are listed on this forum so you should have no issues troubleshooting plus we have some great contributing members with a wealth of experience and knowledge. Just keep us posted of progress and get some photos up once you have made a purchase ;)

Hi guys, sorry if this always comes up but I'm looking at getting a blob eye impreza wrx, I have upto 4.5k could stretch further but as I get a few decent looked after ones around that price I'm happy to leave it at that. I could do with knowing what to look out for, obviously usual knocks and bangs, check that everything electrical works, gearbox feels tight, turbo boosts with no smoke, no smoke on start up, oil and service history anything else/specific to the impreza I should look out for? Also I'm 24 and my insurance on the wrx is around 1k with Adrian flux I'm more than happy to pay that but anyone else have a better insurance company as I only went on a couple of comparison sites, cheers in advance guys

Hi and welcome,

Hopefully our quotation will be competitive but please feel free to drop me a line if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Dan.

I'm on my 2nd blob WRX, 1st had 50k on it and felt great, this one has over 100k and drives like new, even better than the old one.

the WRX and STI were very close on performance, so Subaru decided to put a cat in the up-pipe to lower BHP and improve emissions. it fit's between the headers and turbo, the STI pipe is a straight swap, but it's not and easy/fast job, probably 2 to 3 hours

I've never heard of them being a problem, be careful if you buy one off eBay that is flexi of slip jointed, they tend to leak of fail quickly. the genuine ones are fine, usually about £40 (not sure if it would need a map tweek or not)

one piece of advice, please use 99 ron fuel. the Tesco 99 isn't much more than 95 ron anyway. it might cost £3 extra per tank, but it's worth while, especially when you are having a spirited drive (engine can det with 95 ron and damage engine)

Cheers, if the cat in the up pipe isn't normally an issue then I won't get rid of it, I think I just typed common impreza wrx faults on google, I'll run it on bps expensive juice as the stations just up the road from me, again cheers for that

IMO PPP isn't worth the difference for the performance gain. even with PPP they will benefit from a custom remap. so all the you are paying extra for is a 10 year old sports cat....

definitely wait for one in your preferred colour  

even from the factory it cost £1.5k extra for PPP, but it was approved for the warranty. if you paid £300 for sports cat and £550 for a remap, you got better results, but warranty was void

the PPP map was a generic map, designed for cars to get better performance over a wide range of variables for each car. if you get a custom remap, it is for your car and your mods 

I've fitted a VF35, pinks, a full 3" decat downpipe system, bigger top mount, custom remap

why not look at one that's already modded? as long as you know the owner has looked after it and done mod's sensibly, then it will be cheaper than buying the car and then the bit's extra. there are usually decent cars on pistonheads or scoobynet

I'll have a look at modded ones it's just very easy to make it look like it's been cared for, what's a Vf35 and a pinks? Is the sti top mount bigger than the wrx's?

What cars have u had before? A WRX is incredibly powerful in standard form and can get you in trouble very quickly if you're not careful.

So I wouldn't say it's lacking in power and desperately needs to be increased another 100bhp (50% increase!!) as soon as you get it mate :)