High Voltage!!!

BoozyDave

I've been testing a factory in Nottingham, voltage should be 230 volts. I checked the red phase and it was 240 volts, then the yellow phase, it was 245 volts, then checked the blue phase and got this :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: I think I've found out why equipment keeps blowing up ;)

DSC_0655_zps7lcwncgw.jpg

• Like 1

I'm no expert but that doesn't sound right.

I remember having an argument about earthing a temporary site cabin with an inbuilt 16kVa generator. I got the response "we don't need to earth it it's fitted with an RCD". Some people eh?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

nominal voltage is 230 volts + or - 10%, so maximum allowed is 253 volts

earthing stuff can be taken too far sometimes. if the generator is in the cabin and connected to the chassis, then it won't need an external earth rod

I've seen plastic gas and water pipes with bonding clamps on! I mean WTF.

if the gas or water comes into the property in plastic and it then copper throughout the installation it doesn't need bonding.

Sorry see the title and this came to mind. Thought I would share what goes on in my mind ;)

But I'm pretty sure thats the reason why stuffs blowing. My question would be why is it that high in the 1st place  :blink:

nominal voltage is 230 volts + or - 10%, so maximum allowed is 253 volts

earthing stuff can be taken too far sometimes. if the generator is in the cabin and connected to the chassis, then it won't need an external earth rod

I've seen plastic gas and water pipes with bonding clamps on! I mean WTF.

if the gas or water comes into the property in plastic and it then copper throughout the installation it doesn't need bonding.

Not according to the British standards or the IEE guidance on temporary cabins and free standing generators . It says anything over 10kva to be earthed. If the chassis becomes live how would the RCD trip unless it leaked to earth?

I get the plastic pipes though, I've seen that done. I've also seen someone earth a pressure washer with a 3ft spike which was attached by a clip to the plastic/rubber hose

guys these posts are hilarious :lol:  I bet the chap (or chapess) diligently ensuring the plastic tubing was earthed had a full ensemble of PPE head to toe flourescent gear and the area cordened off :D

• Like 2

Oi! Careful, you might want to check what I do for a living before you start poking fun.

I work as a safety consultant (one of the sensible ones) I work in construction and offshore oil and gas where there are real risks to sort out, so I'm going to defend myself here.

However, there are nobs out there

We had a "jobs worth" safety guy once do an assessment for COSHH on hand cleanser (why you'd do that anyway is beyond me) but anyway, in his assessment when he got to the bit on PPE he actually put "must wear waterproof gloves", for hand cleaner in a toilet. It's these people that cause the lunacy, and there's loads out there sadly.

• Like 1

No im one of the good guys, I love conkers without goggles, I only get involved with proper safety like excavators cranes and crap blowing up.

I learnt everything it know from the Mary Whitehouse experience, "now there was no need for that to happen". Can't put up link as on phone

I'm more from the Steve Hughes camp, search Steve Hughes Safety on YouTube

Have a look on you tube for Chopper Reid safety, im not quite that bad, but it's quite funny

I'll post up links when I'm on lappety top later. Unless you find them

I once had to write a risk assessment for WD-40. I had to acquire the safety chemical data sheet or whatever its called and all sorts of ****** not a happy bosh. In the end it said something along the lines of "if you're going to !Removed! yourself up with this stuff you shouldn't be allowed to class yourself as a human being" don't think my boss ever got to that bit when proofing it

• Like 1

I had an arguements with a jobs worth "safety professional" who tried to tell me that the law requires you to assess ALL risks. So I asked him where he'd assessed the risk of a polar bear attacking his workforce. He said I was being stupid but it's a risk however slim. Those are the sort of people that cause the problem.

Unfortunately law does actually require a COSHH assessment for anything used at work that has one of those orange diamond symbols on it, that includes wd40, not saying I agree with it for basic substances but it is the law

The law wasn't really designed for household substances, more for the proper hazardous stuff, it doesn't unfortunately differentiate. I've spent years looking at this and sadly most people don't do pragmatic or common sense. I work on the bigger the risk the tighter the controls. Picking up 1000t with a crane big risk lots if controls, using wd40 less needed

Dog, hats off chum - unfortunately it is the difference between having the qualification / credentials and being able to apply them in the appropriate situation and someone who has done the course so therefore they must rigorously apply the framework / theory / approach to everything.

Bosh - I went for many years thinking everyone had common sense as a natural commodity - I have since learnt they dont - I have met individuals who you couldn't trust with a sharp pencil, very nice salt of the earth do anything for you types but a crayon was safer for them and super intelligent think tank boffins that you couldnt wave at across a road as they would walk straight out into the road towards you still waving oblivious to the bus heading for them.

PS

isnt WD40 - water displacement experiment / trial number 40 and is made from duck oil? smells almost as nice as gun oil (yummy)... but not quite..... :blink:

Dog, i spotted you earlier in a video, hope you don't mind me sharing it

I was wiring new offices for a railway company, they said 'class 1 ladders only, anti slip mat's, no ladders for working over 2M high, fall arrestors', so when fitting the lights in each office (2.2M ceiling height) we had to use a tower scaffold!!!! it wouldn't fit through the doors, so it was take into room, assemble, fit 1 light, dis-assemble, take out of room, take into next room, assemble, fit 1 light, dis-assemble, take out of room, repeat for 15 rooms!!!

then we saw the on site maintenance using an old wooden ladder that had been repaired and extended with bit's of 2x1!!!!

Dog, I've not installed any transformers, so I'm not sure over finer details. But some people think that RCD's are some kind or magical object and will save anybody in any circumstance!!!

• Like 1

Lol, I've been doing this for years, qualified to the hilt and chartered yet I still get people arguing stupidity.

Only today I pulled into a carpark on a site and it had a reverse parking policy to stop people getting run over, the only space left I couldn't reverse into because I couldn't turn the car around, so I went in forwards, some jobs worth made me go back out, reverse my car out and about 50m down the car park, turn around and reverse it 50m back up so that've could reverse into the space, when I tried to explain that what he was making me so was far more risk than just leaving it there he said, and I quote, "can't mate its policy". What a nob

• Like 2

Thats what I mean the worlds gone mad. How can reversing that far be safer than coming out of a car park space :(

People need to take some responsibility for the own stupidity :)

Reminds me when I was doing some pipe work in a factory paid thousands for non slip paint been done 2 days 1st thing I did was slip on it. I just laughed it off I hadn't hurt myself mind. Even if I had done would blame myself nobody else :)

Think chopper and hughes versions work well :D 

There's 2 things I've learnt in this industry

1, the problem with common sense is it's not actually that common

2, never underestimate the ability of an individual to turn anything to ratsh1t in 30seconds

• Like 1

Thats what I mean the worlds gone mad. How can reversing that far be safer than coming out of a car park space :(

People need to take some responsibility for the own stupidity :)

Reminds me when I was doing some pipe work in a factory paid thousands for non slip paint been done 2 days 1st thing I did was slip on it. I just laughed it off I hadn't hurt myself mind. Even if I had done would blame myself nobody else :)

Think chopper and hughes versions work well :D

I'm definitely more of the Steve Hughes way if thinking

There's 2 things I've learnt in this industry

1, the problem with common sense is it's not actually that common

2, never underestimate the ability of an individual to turn anything to ratsh1t in 30seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sage words indeed - I concur as it is not just limited to your industry :lol: :lol: