Newbie & first Subaru with problems

Hudson

Feel excited to get stuck into the subaru community with my first ever Impreza WRX 55 plate although it's already back at the garage where I bought it from after only 1week of owning it as found a few problems with it and somehow the scoop ripped itself off and flew off down the motorway while not exceeding the speed limit and not entirely sure where I stand with that in terms of the 1 month warranty I have... the garage told me they won't cover it because they think someone has tried to pull it off which I just don't believe.

Either way not happy of course and thinking of taking out action with consumer rights & trading standards as it's a big disappointment for that to just happen in less than one week of having the car!

I'd say the garage are trying to pull a fast one, ths scoop is held on by 8 screws and 4 plastic fasteners so unless they did some paintwork on the bonnet or they have replaced it there should be no reason for it to have come loose.

Have some stern words mate see where it gets you

hi mate

welcome to the club

sorry to hear you are having problems with the car, people usually want a subaru for a few years and then when you get one and this happens, it turns excitement into resentment  :( 

there is NO WAY that a scoop with all the standard fixings in place will come off, if someone had tried to pull it off, the alloy bonnet would certainly be deformed/damaged

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

Love the profile picture :D

I have to agree you're the 1st owner I've spoken too in nearly 5 years thats had that happen :( Strange thing is I always worried about it with looking at the bigger scoops i.e STI ones

Only thing I can think of is it's an aftermarket scoop :( I can't see anyone wanting to pay out on it if it is :( 

It looked like an origional wrx/sti scoop to me but I did note when I looked round the mounting points after it came off that 2 or 3 of the screws/fixings looked like they were previously already damaged or missing which leads me to think it's been taken off in the past and not properly re-fitted and checked afterwards...  just hope I'm not going to have to fork out another scoop as the car has cost me all my hard earned wages and when your paying for such a nice car like this it's not the first thing you expect to go wrong... It does sound like a freak rare case scenario. If I get it back from the garage and not been successful in getting them to cover the scoop costs then I assume it's not the best idea to drive it around without the scoop as it will have alot less airflow to the intercooler... For the few days I had it before this happened it was the best car and most fun I've driven! The other things I spotted after the sale when I got it on a ramp that the garage agreed to sort out was the offside gearbox seal had a slow leak, the CAT was blowing a little and before the sale I noted the nearside fog-light glass housing was cracked and the radio wasn't working which they also agreed to get sorted. None of this has really bothered me the scoop incident has!

Here's a few pictures I got of it before the scoop said farewell...

DSC000131_zps268d7f09.jpg

wrx_zpsf95afea2.jpg

Looks like it's nice and clean, shame anout the problems, if the garage doesn't want to know you can get plenty of aftermarket scoops on the bay, not ideal but cheaper than the dealer

Sent from my SM-T210

i bought an after market bigger one and it just bolts through the bonnet with nuts and bolts, none of the fancy subaru bolt/clip things

it was about £70 off eBay and £40 for painting (but i had other bits resprayed too)

I'm far from giving up I got the subaru bug well and truely, spoken with the garage today and they tell me they have fixed everything bar the scoop which they agreed to paint and fit if I supply them the scoop... not the full result I wanted but atleast it's better than nothing... now just to source a scoop whether it be after market or.... maybe you guys can point me towards some? I will be checking eBay and other sites to see what I can find...

I'm still fighting this but seems like a losing battle at the moment, going back to the garage again with it on monday, along with what I booked it in for under warranty later on today one of the rear flexis burst! Nice puddle of brake fluid all on the floor, good job was right next to a garage which they sealed off the pipe so I'm running on three brakes now... another thing to go down on the warranty list... just hope I eventually get over this hurdle and end up with an Impreza I can get out on the road without having to worry what will go wrong next! Found out 3 of the studs on nearside front wheel are all chewed up in bad condition too and can't torque the nuts up on them! out 

Wotcha and welcome - shame you are having these issues with what looks like a great car - it sounds like it has been sat for some time and now you are using it things are failing - apart from the scoop and the screwed wheel mounts that is

i would seriously think about getting my money back.

the wheel nuts is a major safety issue, if they don't replace the stud's, you can't torque the wheel nut correctly, so the car is not road worthy

i would seriously think about getting my money back.

the wheel nuts is a major safety issue, if they don't replace the stud's, you can't torque the wheel nut correctly, so the car is not road worthy

Exactly, I'm going down to garage this afternoon to have a stern word with them as obviously not happy at all and the car isn't road worthy as you say especially with the wheel studs issue, can't believe they let it out the garage like that in the first place with the speeds capable could of easily had the wheel fly off and kill myself! I'm having an ultimatum if they don't sort everything out by friday then I think it's time to go down the return the car route :(

Hope you manage to get somewhere mate & it doesn't put you off subaru ownership, at the end of the day when it's been resolved I think this garage needs to be named so others can steer clear. Are you looking to go down the sale of goods act route ?

Update: Rang the garage today after been told yesterday it should be ready to pick up this afternoon although the scoop issue isn't resolved yet but will get to that... only to be told an hour before I was due to catch my train that all the mechanical work I had asked for had been done BUT said they had missed one thing off the list by accident and while trying to do it a rusty bolt sheared off in the hub that was supposedly seized this afternoon resulting in them saying they would ring me tomorrow morning as they may be having to fit a new hub for me now after that unless they can successfully drill out the bolt and re-tap the threads which sounds like a 50/50 chance of the threads surviving and being a reliable solution so just hope I get the car back asap as I do miss it alot already!...

Not giving up and was somewhat happy they took to my list of mechanical faults I gave them to do under the warranty that they obliged to do all of them but they have had the car 5 days now again which surely shouldn't take that long to order in the few parts needed and fit + fix the other issues. Just seems they don't get things done very quickly. Had the car nearly a month now and onlyhad chance to drive it for about 10 days of that month that's nearly gone with several of the drives ending in me feeling disappointed after finding faults.

As for the scoop - spoken to two managers now in a cival manner telling them that it's not right that the scoop came off while driving after less than a week of owning the car only to be told it was above their pay grade to do anything about it apart from offer to paint one and fit it if I supplied one which I said I didn't think was right and wasn't enough as I paid my hard earned wages for that car for it seemingly to fall apart on me. So they said they would have '*****' call back to speak about it with me but still waiting for this call two days later so going to have to ring them and ask why I haven't been called and disappointed as I just feel as though they ignoring it or disregarding it. 

Maybe time to bring trading standards/customer rights into action and see if anything can be done...

• Like 1

I'm impressed they've done so much. I wouldn't have expected so much from 2nd hand car sales.

I saw a place online selling scoops brand new for £70 I think it was the other day and though of you. Me personally would pay the £70 for the scoop and be content they are spraying and fitting it....but thats just me I guess.

How much did you pay for the 05? 

I would be concerned why scoop missing bolts & wheel studs damaged.

Could be possible accident damage. scoop coming off for repairs & being clipped back on then someone forgot the nuts !

brake pipe failing is also !Removed! rare issue & Subaru standard pipes are super quality so possibly someone been here too & not handling the job too professionally .

Garage does seem be tackling most your jobs though so you not doing too bad but you really need get that car checked fully before warranty & dealer looses interest in you as I suspect it may have some hidden history.

Contact the directors/owners of the garage, explain it all civilly and ask the to sort it out. If no joy after that then I would go trading standars route.

Does seem that they are a pretty good garage sorting all the issues but are being petty about the scoop.

Good luck with it all and hope it's resolved to your satisfaction.

The cars under warrenty and the garage have a right to fix all the issues, and they should have them fixed quickly as well. When you buy a car from a garage you dont expect these type of issues, maybe a private sale but not a garage.

Hope all four brakes are working, if you had to do an emergancy stop for any reason the car would pull one way and you could lose control.

I feel for ya mate, if it was me i would give car back and look els where tbh.

The cars under warrenty and the garage have a right to fix all the issues, and they should have them fixed quickly as well. When you buy a car from a garage you dont expect these type of issues, maybe a private sale but not a garage.

Hope all four brakes are working, if you had to do an emergancy stop for any reason the car would pull one way and you could lose control.

I feel for ya mate, if it was me i would give car back and look els where tbh.

Not really, a huge amount of issues will fall outside of the T&C of the included warranty & trading standards.

Garage seems to be responding ok besides the bonnet vent & even on that they approved painting & fitting.

Bad side is how they missed a lot of these niggles when prepping car for sale.

Another bad point is the sounds of a temporary block off of 1 rear brake, I could never let a customer have a car back like that as technically not roadworthy thus illegal & police/court & my professional trade insurers who hang me for it should anything happen.

With all the other faults that have built up after vent falling off should of made them feel obliged go all in on bonnet vent too really as incredibly awful experience so far for the buyer.

As I said before, I would advise a full check over of this vehicle as I would put money on it being an acident repair or hiding a few other niggles from bodgy work.

Act fast & while you can.

• Like 2