New member saying Hi

DazS78

Hi.

Just a quick message to say hi after buying myself my new toy (impreza wrx).

It's had quite a few mods done and I will be looking at doing the occasional trackday with it so any advice or pointers would be great.

post-2628-14034829115_thumb.jpg

post-2628-140348294735_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

Car looks in good condition. My main tips if doing track days make sure you have good brakes that can deal with it. That was my 1st mistake went to over take on by late braking cooked them. Brakes faded away quicker than Jimmy Savile's popularity, made me worry at every corner after that :(

Be prepared to kill your tyres too so worth having a track day set I destroyed almost a brand new set of tyres in a few hours :) "All Tyres Must Die" Of course allow it to warm up and cool down after any spirited drive. And last I think have fun it's good fun just doesn't come cheap if you want to be a regular :(

I should of said but I already have several trackdays done so I will be doing the obvious as in 5.1 brake fluid and ferodo ds2500 pads and hopefully some 4 pots if I can find any but I'm a newbie to taking a subaru on track so I'm very curious of if anything needs to be done or anything I should look out for? I have also noticed I have a slight power steering leak from the reservoir somewhere so that will also need attention before it goes anywhere near a track.

Oh right good stuff, so what you driven before I'm pretty sure you will know the basics then really, the Subaru isn't any different to most cars just take a little more looking after and a bit more care. Had one member whose had to short shift because it was too loud has a video somewhere I will look for it in a minute :) 

I'd say 4 pots is a must as I said before with the brakes fading :( get some braided hoses too. :) 

I had a fiat coupe 20v turbo that was running 300 horses with supporting mods and that was good but totally shocking in the wet. I had a classic wrx many moons ago but I never took it on track. The trackdays thing is quite a recent development for a group of us so I decided I wanted to go for a scooby again for the 4wd system so even if it rains on the day it's not totally ruined.

If you could find a video out that would be great.

Hi and welcome to soc

4pots , braided lines and mabye a brake stopper (stops the bulk head flexing)

As for the leak quite a common fault unfortunately .

Early classic's suffer the most .

Cheapest option is a good second hand one .

Best option I know of is a newage reservoir with a relocation kit

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I left my ps pump attached to the car when I fitted my engine , so I can't advise you on any difficulties I'm afraid . as far as I'm aware , the only thing that's a pig to bleed on a scoob is the coolant .

If you go for the second hand option bear in mind v1 and v2 have a different shape ps pump to the rest of the classics [emoji6]

• Like 1

And that leads me to another question too. Whilst looking under the bonnet tonight I noticed that there is a coolant topup tank thing to the right of the engine bay that then runs across the front to the left hand coolant tank. My question would be how the hell can you tell if it needs water/coolant or not?

The "V" stands for version which is how you know what parts fit .

As the years for the versions differ slightly between uk and jdm cars .

Here's a link that shows the differences between versions

http://www.carldavey.co.uk/article.php?id=4

The expansion bottle on the right has a min / max level on it and that's the guide for how much coolant you've got , instead of the header tank bolted to the inlet

No problem fella [emoji106]

Easiest way to identify the early set up is that the V1& v2 have a top entry turbo (air intake runs over the inlet manifold)

whereas all later subarus (96 onwards roughly) have front entry turbos (air intake pipe passes under the inlet manifold)

which means they need a different shape p.s pump to allow room for the intake pipe [emoji6]

Hi and welcome,

The car looks great. That expansion bottle, as said above, has the min and max marks on. Dont fill it higher than the max. Even though the max line is quite low down.

For track days, 4 pots are a must with good pads. A few years ago, on my first trip to the Nurburgring, I didnt even think about the brakes as i assumed Subaru must have made brakes to match the cars performance. Wrong, Aftyer only about half a dozen corners, i got serious brake fade. They came back to me about 2/3rds of the way round but ruined the fun. :(

After that, 4 pots, braided lines, red stuff pads and grooved disks brought the fun back :)

Since then, I have also been advised that a sump baffle plate can protect the engine from oil starvation in high speed corners.

Hi tlag. I will be checking the expansion bottle in the next half an hour. I take it the subaru 4 pots from a later model fit straight on? Are these easy come by or did you fit different 4 pots?

On my old track car (fiat coupe) it came with Brembo 4 pots as standard so I just changed the fluid to 5.1 and changed the pads to ds2500's and the brakes were fine.

Do you have any ideas where the sump baffle plates can be brought from?

Thanks for all comments so far everyone.